RC-7s, really necessary?

Gary W. Graley

My quandary, I'm upgrading FROM the RF-3s to the RF-7s within about a month, waiting on fresh ones from the factory...hate to wait!

But I have the RC-3 for the Center, the place I'm trading in my RF-3s say that the RC-3 will do fine and won't be necessary to upgrade to that larger Center, now I got to demo a set of the RF-7s and RC-7s at another store cities away and they said I HAD to match the set...I know it would be NICE but is it needed?

The RC-3 sounds pretty good now, the RC-7 sounded a little bit richer sounding to me, almost muddled though on some of the voices but deeper and smoother, but a $500 upgrade on one speaker is a bit steep.

So you guys/gals that have gone through this, lets hear your advice please.

Thanks all!

G2

Well the RC-3 will do fine if its cut around 80Hz(or set to small in your reciever/pre menu).

Even when matched with the mighty RF-7's an RC-3 is a good choice.It can keep up with the RF-7's to very high levels.

What you gain with the RC-7 is full range performance and a better tweeter.Not to forget the RC-7 can take more power and much more power on peaks(not needed anyway).

For me its a must for the fron stage to have identical drivers if at all possible.The RF-7 and RC-7 tweeter is identical,a true compression driver.

Money does not grow in trees so you can always buy a RC-7 later.The RC-3 is a fine center(minus any bass and finer detail of the RC-7).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Gary, you should read the "RC-7 vs. KLF-C7" and "Hey, HornEd, need phantom feedback" threads in this same section.

To approximately quote the Horny one, "a phantom channel is better than a mismatched center speaker" he goes one to wonder how he lived with his KLF-C7 instead of using the phantom channel.

Try both options, with and without the RC-3. If it sounds better without when you are in the sweet spot, then you know you need AT LEAST the RC-7.

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

good move! the only other great option would be (respectfully borrowing from hornEd) is a horizontal rf-7! i appreciate what ed is saying, but this is impractical for my application: the c-7 JUST fits below the bottom of the 84" movie screen, and a perforated screen is BIG $$'s. i have the c-7 on the bottom shelf of my tv stand which works well for the 36" sony above it, and the movie screen as well. the wood trim w/ black on the stand looks GREAT w/the wood (m.oak)finish on the c-7. besides i can go to 40Hz w/the bass mgmt. of my receiver, i'm trying 60-70Hz for the c-7 and ksps-6's, while the klf-30's go to 40Hz, the rsw-15 will handle the rest. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture