Khorn Bi-amping question? Need help

Dylanl

I have been running this set up for quite some time now and wondering how I can tweak it to make it sound a little better.

Horns - ALK crossovers ( NO way that I know to bi-amp ) driven by Dynaco Mark 3 Tubes

Woofer - Straight wired from Dynaco ST410 200 watts per channel SS

This bi-amp seems at times to make the woofer try to go to high, making it at sound like its working to hard on the upper frequencies. The bass is down right almost overbearing sometimes. It could also be my room with a 100hz jump but I did not see it as bad when driven with just the ALK's. So, the question, can I run a inline crossover and tune the woofer down so to speak or what about a cap just to tame things down a little? What is the crossover on the ALK woofer section? Lastly could I build a cheap crossover for just the woofer?

Thanks for any help I am looking for a quick and cheap fix if you have any thoughts. I could always just go back to the Mark 3 alone but I feel as if I have gained by using the bi-amp but just maybe the lack of an Xover is pushing the woofer to high for what it was made to do.

Which ALK crossover do you have?

Q-So, the question, can I run a inline crossover and tune the
woofer down so to speak?

A-sure, parts express sells a cheap in-line crossover

Q- or what about a cap just to tame things down a
little?

A- For the woofer, it would be more like an inductor, s 2.5 MH inductor would be an example.

Q - What is the crossover on the ALK woofer section? Lastly could I
build a cheap crossover for just the woofer?

A - Depends on which ALK xover you have.

Q - I am looking for a quick and cheap fix if you have any thoughts.

A - Get the inline passive crossover from parts express which goes on the amp input, or if you have an extra 2.5 mh inductor, put that in line with the woofer input.

The crossover design is the ALK type A crossover

BTW, I did read the instructions seeing that I built them (DIY) and yes the instructions comment on Bi-amp operation. The instructions specifically say this network was not designed for bi-amp operation but could be used if a low level crossover was ahead of the amps ( Thank you Dean for pointing that out to me I stand corrected LOL ). So if that is the case why use the ALK's at all? Why not just get an active or in-line?

Thanks Speakerfritz for your replies and help. I don't visit here often anymore but I see some things never change.

Forgot to ask which Parts express inline do you recommend?

"So if that is the case why use the ALK's at all? Why not just get an active or in-line?"

good question.....actives are a way to go....not cheap but most offer user selectable ranges

alot of folks use a 6db crossover with active setups to protect the drivers. A capacitor for tweets mainly.

Sorry...forgot the link...

http://www.marchandelec.com/xm9.html

This xover has served me well (although I've since replaced it with the XM26). Its completely quiet, doesn't have a sonic signature and has a pretty cool damping control that helps blend the woofer with the other drivers. These show up used on A'gon every so often for $300 or so. Get a 3-way and sell your ALK xover and you can tweak your drivers to fit your room. Use a test record or CD to flatten out the peaks and dips and then adjust to suit your ears. Have fun.