Transport improvments

Audio Flynn

It has been a few years without changing much in my digital front end. Someties I run 16/44 with the GW Labs Upsampler only being used as a jitter reduction device feeding the slightly modded MSB Link II DAC.

My wife being a school teacher and my 6-8 nights onm the road for work I just have been using changers as a transport for my lovely brides convenience. Over the past years I had used Kenwood, Denon and Marantz CD changers for the transport. Currrent marantz transport started acting odd only playing i.5 songs and then stopping for no reason. I had a new Panasonic BluRay player coming through the American Express points program so I just took my prett high end in its day Panasonic RP-91 DVD / DVD-A player from the HT to the 2 channel.

RP-91 was very full featured in its day. It has an audio only button on the faceplate that turn off all video circuitry and was one of the few mid priced players not to have the "chroma bug". I think MSRP was about $ 699. I liked it for movies so much I bought an identical backup off E bay I never had to use.

When we put it in the 2 chaneel room last wekend my wife noticed pretty quickly as I did the soundstage had more depth while attack and decay improved.

I was never a follower of the thought transports had much effect but my wife noticing made me shake my head.

Anyone else see a serious transport upgrade improvment?

I've never noticed a difference between transports if using an off board dac. I have notcied a difference if using the interna D/A converter of given players which feed directly into RCA plugs of an amp/reciever input.

I have a pretty high end DVD/CD player which does not get used much...maybe I'll run some CD's thru it into an off board DAC.