Promedia 2.1 problem - broken sub or amp? i have no clue

jlab17

I thought it was my control that wasnt working. I got another that was working. I replaced the original fuse with one from radioshack. I plugged in the new control pod and connected my ipod, no sound. I look at the fuse. It is pitch black. I try another fuse, It blows too. slow burning and fast acting both get the same result. i need help. Do I have to open up my sub? is it a problem with my amp? I dont know where to go to fix it, im at ASU in tempe arizona

Well, one way to tell if it is the control pod would be to plug in the sub and turn it on without a control pod attached and see if that blows the fuse, if it does then yes, you will have to go into the sub to see what is going on from there. but if that is the case it does not sound good, hopefully it is the pod but if not you will have to look around to see if there are any wires that are somehow shorting out on each other, and also look for burned sections of circuit board or popped/burned resistors.

Well, the first thing I would do is check the power wire for any rips or signs of damage, if none, then open up the back of the unit by removing all the outer skrews (make sure you unplug the unit first and wait a few minutes for it to discharge). and then just start looking for anything that looks like it may be touching something that it shouldn't and look for burned resistors etc. try and sniff around lightly to see if you smell that "burned circuit" smell. there are 2 fuses internally but they are certainly not your problem as they only fuse the output for the 2 speaker channels. but you may have a larger problem, but it may also be something simple. keep me posted.

• 10 months later...

I just experienced the same failure. My system is less than two years old so this is very disappointing. I did the diagnosis and was able to determine that the problem is a shorted main transformer. This short is what causes the fuse to blow repeatedly. Unfortunately, trying to find one of these transformers will be nearly impossible and my system is out of warrantee. The system in now worthless.

Question guys...is there a way to use/rewire the sub/amp for indicidual use. I have a v2-400 that's fried.
The usual crap of cracling, buzz and static which I have had Mr Clean clean off the pod and replaced

the DIN with no success. I have been using the spkrs to replace an old Sony HTIB. It definitely sounds better

but I want to use the sub. I'm not sure if the amp is dead but I'd like to test it out....but how?