i have a question

AMIGATHEBEST

what is a "tube". all i hear when im in the klispch forums is "tube this tube that". i know its a dumb question but what are they and why are they so good?

------------------

Receiver:Pioneer VSX-D850S

Display: Mitsubishi 46 inch HDTV

Fronts: RF-3II

Center: RC-3II

Surrounds: RS-3II

Sub: SVS 20-39CS+ w/ Samson S-1000 Amplifier

Holy mother of pete.....

ummmmmm.....

do some reading. To answer here would cause my already addled brain to implode.

http://www.svetlana.com/docs/tubeworks.html

Here is a tidy little paragraph by Dick Olsher... who occasionally knows what is going in:

"Many consumers apparently find it quite strange to accept a mix of digital and tube technology...Basically, some readers wanted to know whether the tube stage was really a good idea since it would be adding distortion to what would otherwise be a pure signal. Heck, tubes have been catching flack for the past 40 years for being higher distortion devices than transistors. Tube line stages, typically operated class A, are intrinsically low distortion circuits, easily beating a spec of 0.1% total harmonic distortion (THD). Sure, you can get a solid-state OpAmp to measure even better by application of global feedback, but in the end while THD is lower into a test load like an 8-ohm resistor, such a device sounds worse on music because of transient distortion products. The beauty of tubes is that they are inherently linear devices and don't need feedback to measure decently."f>s>

Basically, ole Dick has it right. Tubes are inherently more linear amplification devices than transistors which must use NEGATIVE FEEDBACK to reach their measurements and hence do not sounds as free from grain and distortion as their measurements predict.

But you will find that many within here dont operate on what they actually HEAR as much as what they MEASURE, not trusting their own skull caps to let them perceive what they are hearing, instead relying on numbers plotted on paper telling them that his should sound better while ignoring the REAL higher level of perception that tells them this might not be so; in a way, it is a bit akin to the idea one must learn how to WRITE by learning the rules surrounding as much before they can toss them to the wind and let forth real expression by discarding those very same rules when necessary.

Those stuck in the measurement hole still turn their homework in on time and follow the rules doing as asked. Following the scientific method does not guarantee anything necessarily.

Does the lack of such indicate religion? Not at all. Only that we have not come up with the proper tests to catch up with what we are perceiving...and hence, we are measuring and counting all the wrong things. Of course, this puts a lot of pressure on ones perception and analysis capabilities. One must learn to hone these and become descerning, not swaying from parameters that are false or for all the wrong reasons.

Let us not forget the lovely Einstein quote which doesnt prove anthing as much as open the doors for further understanding within a WIDER range of parameters:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

- Albert Einstein

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-01-2002 at 08:18 PM

1. yes my website sucks i dont even know why i listed it it a waste of a perfectly crappy domain name

2. your on a computer right now

3. i actually DID know what tubes are Smile.gif

P.S. how can anyone call computers evil?

------------------

Receiver:Pioneer VSX-D850S

Display: Mitsubishi 46 inch HDTV

Fronts: RF-3II

Center: RC-3II

Surrounds: RS-3II

Sub: SVS 20-39CS+ w/ Samson S-1000 Amplifier