Promedia 4.1Control Unit Problem

Weschott71

I have a Promedia 4.1 and have three control units; the system just quit for the longest time; then all of a sudden when I was about to give up, I plugged it in and it worked for a short period. It was making a very loud popping sound with some feed back, even when I plugged it in to a MP3 player. I called the powers that be said it was the control unit; they have sent me 2; I now have three total and find the odds of both units that were sent to me be bad.

Can someone help me; I now have 3 control units all CP-1 ( with the speak connects on the side of the unit); when I plugged the old one I had the inital problem with back in the light never came back on. So I have three control units none of which come on when plugged in. Now I am only plugging in the control unit to the powered sub and don't have it plugged into the PC or have the other speaks into the unit.

Any information will be greatly appreciated and if I can fix it; depending on the problem and solution; I may be talked into one of my three units as a token of good faith (after mine works of course)

Warren

Not interested in selling any unless I can get the unit fixed; nothing happened to damage the unit at all; It just quit for the longest time; then worked; then I had the popping problem; then when I received the new control units; none of them would even come on; when I plugged the old one back in it wouldn't even come on. I really want to get it working or get another system; I have badass system now and have two crappy lft/rt speaks that do not do it justice.

If your in the market do you know how or where I can get the system fixed? I really do like the system; I am willing to make you a great deal in the event I can get it fixed; hell I will give you one of the three I have; I just want my system back....

Thank you for any help you can give to another klipsch fan....

Yes, i know where you can send it: http://www.sybesmas.com They fixed 2 for me a while back, and they are who Klipsch uses when they send these out as well, or atleast they used to use them. They also have a pretty fast turnaround time. but shipping is not cheap and if I recall the reapir was like $60.00, but they are excellent! if you subwoofer electronics are savable( Iam sure they are) then they are the ones to go to.

I hope that all works out well, and keep me posted.

• 1 month later...

Mister Clean,

My parents received a surge when two high voltage wires touched each other about 1/2 mile from their house. Naturally it blew the fuse in their promedia 4.1, but when we replaced it, we could hear a buzz and a flash (shorting somewhere) and it blew the fuse again. It seams like the problem is with the power transformer board, as that is where the flash and burning smell comes from. Is there any way to buy this board or the entire amp board? Do you repair them? This is such a shame because klipsch is no longer supporting this piece of equipment that is hands down the best computer speakers out there, better than even the 5.1 setup, as far as sound reproduction/clarity/enjoyment is concerned. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Hey Tony, The Burning Smell is never a good sign, and I do not repair circuitry, please contact www.sybesmas.com as they are or atleast used to be a Klipsch Authorized repair shop, they have done a few repairs for me in the past and they do good work and they have a fast turn around time. And if they tell you it is going to be more than you want to spend then I do also buy these systems for parts so I would give you some money for it. One thing you can test for me first thoiugh would be to change the fuse again and unplug the control pod from the sub and plug it in and see if the fuse blows again. I suspect that it will, but if it does not then the problem may be with the control pod. given where you say the flash and smell are coming from though chances are good that it is not the pod. in which case I would certainly buy from you, lol. so keep me posted.

I'm trying to determine what the problem is with my Promedia 4.1 system. After years of faithful and outstanding service, one day it just quit working without so much as a whimper. One day it worked and the next it didn't with no indications of the impeding failure. The system makes no sounds at all and the light on the control pod is not illuminated (green, red, or otherwise).

Things I checked:

The fuse is fine. My sound card is fine. The electronics inside the sub unit were slightly warmer than room temp indicating things were getting power inside. There was no burnt smell. Unplugging and repluging the connections to the sound card and the sub didn't even produce a crackle from the speakers. Plugging headphones into the control pod yielded nada. Plugging headphones into the sound card confirmed it was functioning. I looked inside the control pod but I didn't see anything obviously fried. I'm not an electronics tech though so beyond a visual inpection I have no way of really knowing.

After a fruitless, but pleasant, email exchange with Klipsch Customer Service, the suspected problem is the control pod. I was informed that the control pods were no longer avalible and they couldn't tell me where I could see about getting it checked/repaired.

I'm really pleased with the performance of this system and my financial situation has changed such that I can't afford to replace it with comperable quality. Can anyone confrim with any confidence that this is a control pod issue?

Thanks,

Calamity

if you want you can send the pod to me for testing, it won't cost much, will first test the din plug which costs $8.00, and if that tests good, then I will test the pod with my own 4.1 subwoofer to see if it powers on for $5.00 more and then return shipping with priority mail will be another $7.00 bringing the total to $20 even if the pod is bad I would be happy to not charge you for the testing if you allow me to keep the din cable.