What happend to Computer Speakers

WimpMiester

• Moderators

They would then make personal attacks on the forum moderator, calling her bias and accusing her of covering everything up from deleted post and the buzzing noise to the JFK assassination and her personal responsiblity in the creation of Croc shoes.

Ah, those were the days....

[;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Amy & Friends

I wonder what happened to Klipsch's computer speakers, too.

I recommended the ProMedia 5.1s to a client. He bought them, loved them, the sub died, Klipsch replaced it once and then a second time, and then my client was back in audio heaven again.

So then my wife gave me the same set for Christmas (back in 2002 or 2003, I think). Klipsch replaced my 5.1s, too, after the sub died and now the replacement set is humming loudly when any volume level less than seventy is used. (When set to eighty the hum goes away.)

So I reckon I'll phone Klipsch tomorrow and see if I can get my set repaired. The speakers have incredible sound when they're working, but the hum is too loud to ignore.

I have spent the last four hours searching online for information related to speakers. At this point I'm overwhelmed with information, but based on my research, I conclude that there's a general consensus that Klipsch's ProMedia 5.1s and Ultras are the best-sounding computer speakers ever made, and they're also very, very prone to failure.

And that reflects my personal experience with the ProMedia 5.1s, too.

Gee, as much as technology keeps moving forward, couldn't Klipsch simply bring back the 500-watt 5.1s and offer the set with a five-year warranty? (And, hey, if we existing customers who've had multiple documented problems with our present speakers could get an upgrade discount, I wouldn't complain!).

My next knowledge adventure will be to investigate other sound options for my main photo-editing workstation (Mac Pro, where I spend over thirty hours per week). Should I pursue a home theater system, configure my own system, settle for the ProMedia 2.1s (which we have in our living room), or just bail on Klipsch altogether?

I wonder how the M-Audio BX8s Deluxe speakers with the BX10 sub would compare to my ProMedia 5.1s. I believe the M-Audio system would cost close to US$1300. We play music from our computer that we bought from the iTunes Music Store, Amazon's MP3 store, or encoded ourselves CDs. I'm no audiophile, but I have to say that I prefer my ProMedia 5.1s' sound to the concert sound at Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia, where I've heard Bon Jovi and Creed live. I get more volume and greater clarity at home with my ProMedia 5.1s. (By the way, my wife and I just went to see 3 Doors Down at Gwinnett Arena (in an Atlanta suburb) and the sound was utter crap. The sound was very, very blurry. Maybe my Klipsch speakers have taught me to be discriminating.

Why is it there a quality-control issue with US$400 computer speakers? So many folks aren't spending US$400 for a whole computer nowadays. I'm one of those who tends to spend a lot on a product and then keep it for a long time. I thought my wife was doing that for me when she gave me the ProMedia 5.1s.

Amy, I'm very interested in any information you may be able to share about Klipsch returning to the computer/multimedia space. Also, I hope all is going well with your son. My wife and I just had our first child after _seventeen_ years of marriage. His name is Max and you can read all about him and even see him when he was first extricated from his mother's womb at http://www.jaddie.com/.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

• 1 month later...

I too saw the scarce Computer products page and wondered what was going on. I've had my Promedia 5.1's since shortly after they came out. They've moved with me 10 times already going back and forth between home and various dorms/apartments. They get a good work out quite often and have taken more audio abuse than any other speakers i've owned including the system in my last car (god I wish Klipsch did car audio :) ). We've even had the cops called to our apartment just from my Promedias during a party. The system has been absolutely rock solid for me, no problems whatsoever and they still sound as good as the day I got them. The top end Logitech sets which are probably the best option currently on the market for computer-specific speaker systems simply don't measure up. The only advantage they have is the fancy control pod, it's nice but frankly the pod on my Klipsch's does the job just fine and the sound is untouchable.