Question for Mobile on Eico HF series

No Disc

If I might respond: All of the EICO HF amps were excellent to outstanding. They're still relatively inexpensive, although not the bargains they were a few years ago. IMHO you might want to look for a pair of HF12's... the same circuitry as the HF81 but in a mono integrated amp package. You could even consider picking up one at a time (nothing wrong with mono)! The HF14 was the power amp only version of these amps.

EICO also made a low-end 6BQ5 SE pentode integrated called the AF4. These were really cheap, but current eBAY prices are sort of ridiculous IMHO.

The bigger EICO HF stuff was also very good, but often was in the form of mono integrateds (e.g., HF20 and HF52) and mono or stereo power amps. Iron in these was generally excellent, and the modern eBAY prices they fetch reflect this. FWIW, the first hifi amp I had (in high school) was a single castoff HF52 that had been a church PA amp in its former life!

Be sure to visit Bob Higgins' "Unofficial EICO site" if you haven't.

Hope this is some help.

------------------

all the best,

mrh

Yeah... But the HF-81 is the easiest to deal with as it comes in such a neat little package and I think it is their best integrated amp on the whole, although many do like the ST-70. As for integrateds, the only options appear to be the ST-40, ST-70, and two HF-12 run as integrated monoblocks. Of course, the HF-20 are reportedly GREAT to mod and fix up...good transformers. Too bad the ST series integrateds use the 7591 tube which is too expensive in NOS and only one make NEW, the Sovtek/Electro-Harmonix.

As for EICO amps, many of the HF series are great...all have merit and every one has great transformers. The HF-86 is an EL-84 amp that sounds good... Another GREAT option that you NEVER see, is the HF-14 monoblock. This little EL-84 amp was owned by a guy I talked to in Charleston, SC that said it was really amazing. Too bad they dont come around very often.

The EL-34 HF series are very good with the tube rectified units being preferred. The unit with the ARCO TO-330 output is really sought after (HF-50). The HF-89 can be modified in the rectification stage for better sound. As said before, the HF-20 integrated has top notch iron.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-04-2002 at 02:26 PM