Upgrading Quintet III Fronts

chriskir

Hello,

Currently in a smaller condo (700sq ft) and am considering upgrading the front L and R Quintets to a floor standing. At the time that I end up moving I know these will better fill whatever room I end up moving into as well.

My current setup is Onkyo 605 and a Sub 10. Listening distance is approx 9-10ft.

I think a floor standing model such as the VF-35s or VF-36s will allow me to achieve some fuller sound and an overall bigger sound stage.

90% of my listening is movies and gaming. Not much 2ch audio.

Questions are -

- Will I see a fairly significant improvement with the above over my current setup? I don't remember what the peak power/RMS.
- Will these drown out my current Quintet III center chanell? Can I simply run Audesey on the Onkyo to calibrate/modify a cross over setting to achieve
desired results?
- Will this be too poweful or is there such a thing? I know I can simply adjust volume controls etc. Just curious what people think.

The VF-35s are going for 299.99 a piece now. Just trying to determine if it would be a noticable upgrade.

Ok, let me rephrase that. You will get a vast improvement over your main's. R&L. But, your center and surrounds will probably have a hard time hanging with the towers.

Thanks for the advice. What would be a reasonable center to pair with the VX-35s when I decide to go that route?

Someone told me I could probably adjust the crossover frequency as a temporary patch. True?

Just in case you didn't know, the grill's on the VF35's/36's are NOT removable. That would be an instant turn off for me. Have you thought about the F2's? I looked it up, and the freq responce's are about the same. Only difference is the VF35's go down 3 more HZ. But you wouldn't even notice that; especially if you have a decent sub. The F2's are about the same price..........

Thanks for the info!

Well now the VF35's are sitting still sealed in the box in my living room. I don't have a huge opinion one way or the other about the removable grill.

What kinds of differences are there between the F2s and the 35's. Is the 35 just a newer model? I can certainly go down the street and exchange them. Can also listen to them and if I don't like them go back and get the F2s for that matter. Thoughts?

I don't know much about the 35's, but to the best of my knowledge, yes, it's just a newer model. Seeing as they're around the same price, I wouldn't think that the crossovers, drivers or internals would be any better in one or the other. I would guess that they would perform right around the same level. the only downfall I see to the 35 is the non removable grill. You may not think you want them, but they're great to have. If it wasn't for our boys, I would leave my grills all the time. It looks a lot better, and in my mind, would sound a little better too. But the whole thing about does it sound any different with the grills on or off is more of a "placebo" than anything. You already have them, so test them out and see what you think. If you don't liike em, take em back, and get F2's! I've never heard the 35's, but I'll say this. I'm not about to go trade my F2's in on a pair of them............... Hook em up and see how you like em!