Academy vs. KLF-C7...

chuckears

Ok, I know this has been discussed before, but I need some fresh input, or reminders, or anything to push me over the edge and help me decide:

I am just beginning to construct a HT set-up around my existing 2.1 channel system, and here are the arguments for the two center channels that I am looking at:

KLF-C7... not the ideal match for my Fortes, I am told, but an all-around good performer, and READILY AVAILABLE, even though it is no longer being produced... I can find one for between $280 and $320,

BUT...

Academy... I have never seen one of these in person, but the photos I have seen show that the visual match with my Fortes is excellent, and I have read many in this forum tout them as the ideal center for many of the Heritage Klipsch speakers. PROBLEM is, as many of you well know, these are not as plentiful, and prices on some have recently exceeded the original list price; upwards to $600, which is the original retail cost of my Fortes (apiece).

My decision is being further complicated by the fact that I have no opportunity to audition either of these before purchasing, and my wife is beginning to grow impatient with the turnaround time on my upgrades (went through a cd-player and center channel in the last 4 months).

ONE point to consider... I am pretty picky about the sound matching... I am one of those weirdos who can tell the difference between interconnect cables, and I rejected the RC-3 because the sound, timbre, whatever you choose to call it, did not match...

OK...... discuss!

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch Academy or KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver

Hey chuckears, if your seriously picky about sound matching and pay attention to the volume of sound that goes through your center channel, take a look at "Hey HornEd, need Phantom feedback... "

When it comes to sound, nothing matches your Forte like a Forte in the center! If you want to get a preview, just set your receiver for "NO CENTER" (Phantom center) and listen to the Phantom your Fortes create. Upwards of 75% of the sound must go through the center that you pick, and if its not a Forte, you are not going to be happy... and neither is your lady.

Face it, man, 5.1 (or above) has forced the center speaker in to being THE main speaker, and the old main speakers primarily support the center. Did you notice that when you switch from Phantom back to whatever center that you have, the rich sounding Fortes stood down and let the smaller speaker in the center take the lead.

I got a lot of enjoyment out of my C7... until I found how much I was missing when I duplicated my mains in the center. There is no substitute that goes all the way like a third main in the middle. Check it out cwm15.gifHornEd

=======================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall based

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...