Speaker controls for Cornwall

Has anyone modified a Cornwall so that each of the components inside can be controlled seperately to adjust balance? What can of worms have I opened with this idea? Isn't there something called L-pads or something like that which could be retrofitted into the system? I was thinking that maybe some of the brightness coming from the midrange horn could be modified that way. What do I know?

-Nipped and Scorned

mobile,

I have the Cornwalls in my living room about 11' apart. I have them either hooked up to the Dynakit-70 with a little solid state Halfer preamp, or for every day use with a big Carver receiver and a speaker switcher which allows me to have speakers all over the house so the music follows me around.

When I want to do serious listening I hook up the tube amp and sit in front of the speakers. My dream is to gradually upgrade to some kind of higher-end tube system for this more ideal listening situation. I have noticed a slight warming up of the Cornwalls even with the dynakit tube amp over the Carver solid state behemoth. I love how beautiful some of those great tube amps look and I can only imagine how they might sound. As a yute I was obsessed with tubes, I know I will be going down this road sooner or later with audio in the house. I have an extensive vinyl collection mostly jazz and some classical.

I just happen to notice that some percussion I was listening to the other day through the Cornwalls ("Autumn Leaves" from Cal Tjader's "Mambo With Tjader sounded a tad on the scratchy side and wondered what could be done about it. The track was the last track on the side, so that may have something to do with it , also the guiro which is a scratchy instrument was up in the original mix of the recording anyway. I noticed that fiddling with the tone control on the preamp didn't really fix the slight harshness of this particular sound. Normally I do not even use the "tone control" aspect of the preamp since it can be switched out of the circuit. So I started wondering about equalizers and/or retrofitting separate tone controls for the components within the Cornwalls. I do have the impression, mostly from you, that the SET approach could mellow out this phenomenon also, however, I am nowhere near that point yet.

btw, how does one know how well the components in the Cornwall are "balanced"? Sometimes it seems that the mid range horn might be a bit predominant. Mostly I love the sound and am really happy with them. The Cornwalls may just be the first step in putting together an informed higher-end system. I am enjoying this learning curve.

-heptoad and solder scars

Cone and Dome (just kidding),

Take a look at the in room Cornwall responses figures I compiled. They are in the "odds and mods" section. The numbers are pretty well balanced. By the way, I have nothing against Carver, but my old Carver receiver sounded harsh and lacked bass when used with my Cornwalls - I gave it away when I realized it had been tricking me. Maybe there was something wrong with my particular Carver, so it may not be the case with yours.

Warm regards,

Andy

I find my big old horn have a bumpy response curve compared to modern speakers, so I use a cheap ADC EQ to tame a room bounce at 5 -6 kHz, but that is all, I do not try to flatten out the curve, any other adjustment gets wearisome after a while - seems to drain energy from the music, I have listend to a Pass X250 and I had a Carver 750 per side amp for a while - I have no respect for his amps on big old horns, might be fine for panels though ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!