ALK CROSSOVERS-WOW!

johns02

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALK NETWORKS

Yes, I'm 'shouting' in netese. I have too. Received the ALK Networks from ALK yesterday, placed them in my Klipschorns, purchased in 1978. My wife and I sat up till after 11 PM last night listening to CD's we'd heard before, but hadn't really 'heard' before. Incredible is an understatement.

I'll try to summarize the improvement.

<1> My settings for the network are "5 % X" which affords less attenuation of the squawker, probably something I need as I've been a drummer for over 30 years and am age 50 so I have some hearing loss, but not that much.

<2> The settings on my Denon Amp reveal the bass to be at neutral or '0' and the treble to be at 1 - 2 +,

and the Loudness button to be off. In the past, all these were different and set to 'amplify' the sound or

whatever.

<3> We listened to various styles of music such as Dvorak, Pat Metheny, James Taylor, actively and attentively.

<4> Presence was remarkable. It was as though these performers were in our house. Plus, if 'imaging' is a

part of Presence, then it was increased as well.

<5> Definition is incredible now and it makes active listening a pure enjoyment.

<6> I can't say enough about the increase in positive sounds coming from my system now. Although not cheap, the ALK Networks are worth the R&D money portion of the cost PLUS the parts, and time Al spent on producing them. They are an American Product (like Klipsch) and they are in an American home being listened to by Americans. Folks, it just doesn't get any better than that now, does it?

Splurge and go for it....you'll have new KHorns if you do.

Kudos to Al...

Thanks,

Patrick

------------------

"Your Vacuous Message Here"

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here's another song of praise:

ALK crossovers+Khorns=simply THE BEST!

I have to admit that the first time I encountered Al's networks in a friend's La Scala, I wasn't totally convinced. Yes, a veil seemed to have been lifted, but after an hour or so the sound became tiring. So what was the use of so much more detail if one was glad to go back to the original AA network after a while?

Going home I reread all those favourable mails on this forum. Were you all biased (trying to 'help' a fellow citizen) or was something wrong with my friend's set-up?

The next step for me was dampening the squawker and tweeter horns of my '73 Khorns (AA network) with rope caulk. Hey great, the sound became certainly a bit easier on the ears with certain rather shrill violin or organ recordings.

Enter Al's networks: installing them was easy (even for a technical nobody like myself) and out came the first few CDs. Hm, not such a veil-removing experience, but certainly more slam in the bass region (I even lowered the crossover frequency of my REL sub). The soundstage became also different.

And now to the really embarrassing part: after a few hours I noticed that the soundstage had somehow moved to the left. Surely this singer used to be centre stage before, so what was that? Was my good old Mc amplifier developing some kind of problem? Playing with the balance knob at the preamp clearly revealed that the left speaker was certainly cleaner, less muffled than its right counterpart. Hell, it was late so perhaps I was just imagining. After a night's 'troubled' sleep I tried again - same as before.

Okay, check connections and blow me, I had actually messed up the tweeter/squawker connection of my right speaker. Fixing it was a matter of seconds and....WOW!!!!!!

I had some expectation, but having had Ben Webster, Louis Armstrong, Vladimir Horowitz, Boris Christoff and many more people actually playing/singing in my living room is more than words can describe! Feeling the sound of a Chopin ballade really overwhelming me like a huge wave is an absulutely breathtaking experience.

Additionally to all those descriptions of Al's great networks I would like to add that the most striking feature for me at the moment is the way the 'flow' of music comes accross. It is so much easier now to feel the emotional aspect of a piece of music, the swelling of each tone of sound, the movement of a melody etc. I know that none of these things can be measured, but I can only say that with Al's networks reproduced music comes as close to the real thing as I have ever experienced.

Now I've been told that a different tweeter/squawker section might top even my current Khorn set-up, but for the time being I feel like being in audio paradise and for that I have to thank Al Klappenberger for his wonderful work.

Sorry if this post got a bit too long, but I simply had to share my enthusiasmBiggrin.gif and urge all people who are still hesitant: GO FOR AL'S NETWORKS!!!

Wolfram

• 1 month later...