ProMedia 2.1 THUMP!

JSChapman

Hi evryone, this is my first post here on the website and I am most certainly glad to be apart of everything Klipsch has to offer.I am here in regards to a very loud thump noise coming from my Promedia 2.1's. I have them currently hooked up to my LCD TV through a 1/8 Y adapter. I get this thump noise whenever I turn off my TV . The speakers are on a surge protecter and I have upgraded the speaker wire, so I am at a bit of a lost. Any help at all would greatly be appreciated.

that thump is probably from the sound source, I would try hooking it up to the tv via the RCA jacks (if available) before giving up. But I am pretty sure the problem is the sound source itself turning off and sending a mild surge to the 1/8 y adapter. and one more thing, why do you need to use a Y adapter? or is the Y adapter actually a rca to stereo 1/8" converter?

Well first off I could understand the sound source being the thump problem, and if fixable how? But yes the Y adapter is a RCA to stereo 1/8 " converter.Is there different means of hooking up my ProMedia's to my TV that I am missing or is it just the way I have it hooked up now?

I am not familiar with the connection options on your tv, but chances are good that you have it correct, most tv's as far as output only have a pair of RCA's and I would have hooked mine up the same way. but with that in mind what else are you running through your tv? like if you are using a cable box there is probably RCA outputs onm that, and with gaming system etc you can hook them up as well, if the thump bothers you that much or it is bad enough to where you think it may damage the speakers then i would certainly start looking into other options that may not be as convenient but sound wise could be more effective. I hope I have helped in some way, good luck and please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, if I can answer them I will. thanks again.

Well I definitely want to thank you for your help and in regards to the connections on the TV.It is a brand new 32" LCD TV with all the new inputs and currently has an Xbox 360 and Basic cable connected to it.That's It! This is a bedroom TV as I am currently in college.I really like having both TV sound and the xbox 360 coming through the ProMedia's the way I currently have it hooked up. Although I am open to other options.Damaging the speakers is probably my biggest concern since the loudest portion of the thump comes from the subwoofer and I leave them on for extended hours.Sorry if this is alot to take in.

The surge protector is a pretty good idea but the switch idea seems really cool.Believe it or not that theory has crossed my mind . I just dont know were to begin. I have always liked to tweak speakers and I am totaly comfortable soldering and working on electronics. I would love more details if you get the time and would just flick the switch to turn them off to prevent my rather loud thump noise.

I am just going to use a toggle switch and wire it in line with the current toggle switch, install the switch in the front of the sub box and use hot glue to secure the wire from front to back so it does not vibrate. And that should be the end of it, both switches will have to be on for it to work, but either one can switch the unit off. I don't think it will be hard at all and probably not take much more than 30 minutes to do from start to finish. I have some push button on/off switches that I will probably try first and see if they can hold up or not, if so, cool, if not then I will have to step it up to some more heavy duty switches. I don't think it will be a problem though, the switch that turns it on and off now does not seem to be that heavy duty. But I do not have any specs at this time.