Center RC-7 vs. RF-3 II with RP-3's

Number.One.Dad

I'm just now (at the ripe old age of 44) getting MY OWN SET OF KLIPSCH!!!!! drumroll please...

I've been using a set of JBL bookshelf's I bought in college and raising kids for the past 23 years, now it's time for ME!!!

The pawn shop grade center speaker I use with the JBL's in the front has really made me a believer in the power of the center channel. Yes, phantom mode is much cleaner when with voices coming from the JBL's, but I run the system without it because I can't bear to give up the wonderfull directional sound of voices coming from the screen!

Anyway, after bearing the pitifull sound of the center speaker while my million times better JBL's just sit in the background has really shown me that the center speaker is TRULY CRITICAL and possibly the most important speaker in HT.

On to the question.... I have a pair of RP-3's coming, want matched speakers, but think the RC-3 is to much of a compromise (especially after reading about HornEd's KLF-30 center channel!). Would the timbre match if I went with a RC-7 for the center and RS-3II's for the surround? In other words, do all Reference series speakers "match" from the 3 series on up to the 7? I understand there will probably be volume differences between series at the same power level but am willing to adjust for that.

My other thought is to use a RF-3II for the center channel. I presume it matches the RP-3's and would be more easily adapted to horizontal placement with a new motor board than another RP-3.

Finally, I LOVE the thought of TWO horns on the RS-3 surrounds, bringing the field of quality sound to 180 degrees or so. Would I really be better off with another pair of RF-3II's for the back? I'm thinking another pair of RP-3's is way to many subwoofers in a room!

Appreciate your thoughts!

Number.One.Dad

Congratulations #1 Dad! Time to make up for lost time,huh?

IMO,you are absolutely correct that the center speaker is the most important speaker in HT.And yes,it is critical.You didn't say what electronics you were using but my advice to you is to make it light on yourself and get the correct matching speakers for the RP's.Remember Klipsch recommends,and designed,the RC-3 and RS-3's as matching speakers for your RP-3's.I personally wouldn't argue with Klipsch! Simply set the center speaker 'small' in you receiver's bass management and any information below 80Hz (or whatever point you select)will be sent to the mains.You should even notice improved dialogue intelligibility with the center set small.The WDST RS-3's are the way to go for HT,IMO.Should make for a great set-up,IMO.

If your electronics provide for 6.1/7.1,or can switch between two pairs of surrounds (ala Denon), the RF-3's would be great,IMO.You could then switch to the monopoles for 5-channel music or the RS-3's for surround use.Better yet,use them all for HT AND music.That's what I do.I think you'll find that the RS-3's will add more hi's in music that will complement the sound characteristics of the powered towers.

With careful placement of the powered towers and a light touch on their sub gain control, I think you'll find the Reference system will make a killer HT/music system. I'm excited for you!

BTW,in case you don't know: at the top of the page click 'products',then click 'home audio',then 'classics'.You'll find all the info you need to compare specs for the speakers in question.Note the matching tweeters on the aforementioned speakers.Note the bandwidth of the RC-3.

BTW,what receiver/separates are you using?

Good luck #1 Dad!

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-A

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

-----------------

KG5.5 FL/R

KLF-C7 C

KT-DS SURR

SW12II

WELL....

Couldn't resist messing around today and went down to Tweeter to listen to the Klipsh (THAT's faith in a product, I'd never heard what I bought!!!... except for my buddy's Klipsch Horns in college). Anyway, I listened to several configurations on a Yamaha 2000? amp... I loved the RP-3's, produced tons of all around sound... Then switched the front mains to RF-3's and the voices AND ambiance came ALIVE! A center RC-7 was playing all the time.

Bit the big bullet and bought a single RF-3 (open box) for the center channel. Came home and discovered my new front screen for the 55" HDTV had arrived, kids...

I just watched Stars Wars Phantom Menace (a GREAT movie) with the RF-3 center (it fits nicely on top of the big projection TV), a new looking picture and WOW!!!!!!!!! The whole room came alive. There I was listening to people's lips closing, discovering sounds I have NEVER heard in the movie, in vivid color and razor sharp picture.cwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gif

And that's with the old JBL's and lousy surrounds! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE REST OF THE KLIPSCH.

On listening the the RP-3's a thought occured in my overactive brain. Why not use the RP's as the surrounds with their big subs in the rear and go for a pair or RF-7's for the fronts (my company also announced their bonus today and I was feeling kinda rich)!!!! FIVE SPEAKER ROCK AND ROLL WITH QUALITY SOUND EVERYWHERE

I'll probably dream about it tonight, hope it's not wet!

Keep ya posted. ENJOY

Number.One.Dad

1dad, yea that'll work but you'll need another sub like

an svs ultra to go in front & run off your sub preout. or u can do kinda like keith & get rp-5 for the fronts & a lil sub just for lfe. a few options as the sky's the limit. cwm20.gif

also, for the rf-3 as center u may want to take a look at what horned did to his tower for center. pic under the techno soup thread in this HT section. requires a lil work by you or a hired craftsman. see horned for the added benefits. rock on!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

cwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gif Well, I'm a very happy camper! My shipment of RP-3's arrived today and GUESS WHAT!!! The vendor messed up sent me a RP-3 and a RP-5!!!!!! They're both hooked up to front channel and with the RF-3 for a center the system is WONDERFULL!!!! WHAT TO DO???? Buy another RP-5 to match or send it back (NOT).

Have to play around for a few days to decide what to do, but HEY, I've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Later

Hey #1 Dad. I guess you bought from UBID. I bet I have your matching RP5 & you my other RP3. They did the exact same thing to me. Sent me an RP3 & an RP5 (02-08-02) However, I refused my RP5 & had UPS send it back. I called & emailed UBID. Customer service was no help, said it would be 3-5 days before the issue would be adddressed. Is there no quality control at ubid? How in the hell can they let that mistake slide? I picked them up at UPS, had everything arranged & they were ready to pick up. Walked in UPS and immediately noticed the mistake.

So now I have a new speaker sitting in a box waiting for its brother to arrive.