Hey Mobile......

maxg

Just how soft are these KT88's going to go? I have been playing them fairly constantly and they seem to be getting softer and softer - I am getting worried.

Last night I was playing Mendelsson's 4th Symphony (the Italian) which has some fairly strident violin playing and I fell asleep whilst listening (a first - OK - its been a hard week at work - but really).

If they get much softer I am worried they wont hold their shape!!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Hmmm... well, that could mean one of two things. And I hope for your sake that it is not the first ...

You could have been let down via your Ebay auction; in other words, those tubes might have very well not been new at all. In fact, based on these comments, I am having my doubts as the first thing that goes when tubes start to get weak is the detail and definition in the highs. When a tube starts sounding more rolled off, that is usually an indicator that is it losing life. I hope that is not the case... It does sound VERY circumspect however.

You could juts not like KT-88 valves but I really think if it is sounding "soft" now, that these tubes are not NEW as described. THis would obviously be a shame. If your seller offers a guarantee of ANY kind, I might be inclined to take him up on it.

Overlly soft and rolled off is NOT a good thing and is not indicative of the KT-88.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

The guy that made my amps is coming round tonight to examine the setup. He thinks they may just need some tweaking.

The guy I bought them from just confirmed they are new - unused.

We'll see....and I will let you know.

Just could be I am not used to the tube sound - I remember hating a friend's very expensive Cary amp.

He came yesterday - and spent 4 hours playing and adjusting, tweaking, metering, soldering, wiring, re-adjusting, and finally listening.

He came along with another audiophile who's house he was supposed to be going to next. They didnt bother in the end as the guy is going to sell everything he has and buy everything I have.

Did it go well?? YIPPEE!!!!!

Sound like I have never heard and didnt believe existed - oh yes the tubes are fine - the setup was all cocked up somehow (he had done some tweaking of the amps for the original 6550's to make them sound better and it was making it sound worse with the KT88's). There were so many things wrong it was amazing it played at all - including the fact that idiot brain here hadnt seated the damn things properly in the first place (in my defence they didnt fit all that well in the shoe adapter things - he fixed that too).

In all honesty I have very little idea of what he actually did - he was a blur of activity testing and balancing and god knows what else (he is real good at this stuff).

Bottom line - he is now going to sell his amps with the KT88's as defaults instead of 6550's if he can source them reliably here.

There is lots more to tell (he adjusted my pre-amp output voltages - I think) but I am too excited to write all of this now.

Suffice to say - KT88's and I are going to be close companions from now on.

OK - one more thing - my wife was out and we played the tubes loud for the first time (thank god - he thinks I would have damaged them if I had tried it with them setup as they were). OMFG!!! Talk about live event! Talk about speed of the amp! Talk about stunning sonic performance. This thing now wallops my Accuphase even on Electric guitar (SACD - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood). I would sell the damn Accuphase if I didnt use it for the rear channel!!

On the other hand I could and get 2 more of these monoblocks.......hmmmmm

Just too excited - stopping now!

Whoops - almost forgot:

The Cary was, we think the SLI-80 integrated unit and was driving KHorns.

It was very very very very very sweet - sugar coated honey wrapped in syrup, drenched in chocolate with added flavouring.

I am being a bit hard of course - but it made Dire Straits play like ABBA and Michael Jackson sound like Straus - way too soft for my liking.

He didnt keep it long and went Accuphase 407 solid state in the end (much harder but it suited the music he plays much better).

Of course, the Cary wasnt runnning KT88's - have I told you about mine??? Just kidding!

All the hours I spend wasting my time blabbering about tubes vs solid state...how tubes can make solid state sound like a a plastic froot basket...how tube rolling can make a huge difference in sonics...

Well, it is nice to know that people follow through and get to reap the rewards. It makes up for a bit of the constant bickering in here, bickering that has, ironically enough, been left up to other supposed tube compatriots.

Yet the beautful part of this whole story is that it's not over..... One day, you will try single-ended, all triode, no negative feedback monoblock 2A3 or 300B amps and it will make those beasts you are gushing about now sound like pedestrian grain boxes! Heh....indeed. But that is down the road, and surely not the kind of thing you want to hear now.

Seriously, maxg.... Sounds great! So glad to hear another success story. Listen, this is the WHOLE reason I got into horns and high efficiency speakers; it allowed me the ability to finally run these all triode, single-ended, low watt designs so they would SING and let go of the notes! And when you have 104dB speakers, it can make 3w of ultra pure triode sound like it's not even an electronic device.... Which is part of the magic... and when you hear it done properly, many other tube push pull devices sound pedestrian, just like your solid state, many ducat, HI-END Accuphase sounds in comparison to those very nice KT-88 monoblocks. It's so amusing to hear others go on about the "euphonic distortions" when the properly implemented SET can sound so FAR from distortion and coloration, it can make your jaw drop. It is a clarity and openness that is staggering and something most have not experienced, even with dropping something close to a home mortgage on HIFI trappings. It makes those tube distinctions like "warm" and "sweet" and "colored" seem absurd, as the clarity and lack of haze and glare is ANYTHING but colored. When that last bit of electronic artifact is ameliorated , you can never go back.

But this is no time to dampen the excitement. Must have been classic to see the amp designer see the difference a fine pair of tubes can make. The Sovtek 6550 deserve to be retired. Hell, it makes it worth the time spent typing and avoiding duties reading this stuff! Also, nice to hear another happy ebay conclusion. I really enjoyed your post, maxg.

Keep us abreast of the fun. heh....that ss preamp should go next!

kh

ps - IF that was a Cary SLI-80, I dont think the owner had it set up properly or was running some bad tube combinations. That amp, although not the best in the world, is sure not a sugary sweet, sweet, honey dripped device by any means. He could have had oil caps combined with other things that didnt mix well.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-07-2002 at 07:53 AM

"One day, you will try single-ended, all triode, no negative feedback monoblock 2A3 or 300B amps and it will make those beasts you are gushing about now sound like pedestrian grain boxes"

That would be the day my wife moves out I suppose...

Goddammit ya got me thinkin' about it!! What next - back to Vinyl??

I am not going back to vinyl

Wow - a Linn LP12 in very good condition on ebay...aaarrrrgggggghhhhh

maxg,

glad to read that you were able to sort out your amp/tube problem. I wouldn't be surprised at all if eventually you'll decide to sell your Accuphase amp. I admit that I only keep my MC amps in case I'll find some space for the Quads in my new flat.

mobile,

from the looks of it your posts about tube amps are having their effects: I simply couldn't resist exchanging my Sovtek 5U4G for a NOS JAN CRC 5R4GY. This change was suggested by the owner of tubeworld. Although I didn't find much time to listen to this tube yet, I am certainly amazed how the whole sound has become more three-dimensional with more sparkling heights and a much better (more focused) bass. Listening to the Aria of Bach's Goldberg Variations certainly made my spine tingle!

I also managed to get a set of 6DJ8 Bugle Boy tubes from the 1960's. They should be on their way by now and I am certainly curious to find out how they'll sound in comparison to my current Lorenz E88CC.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

maxg,

It's great to hear you are finally enjoying your valves.

I am in the same boat as you...trying desperately not to get sucked into the world of vinyl, but I fear I may be losing the battle...

My biggest excuse right now is that I don't have a phono stage and I am doing my best *not* to get the one I want!

------------------

Ed W