I just gotta share this diamond in the rough

t-man

My Toshiba 3109 took a crap the other day. I already fixed it last year, and didn't want to spend another $100 fixing it again. Damn money pit.

So since technology is changing so fast, and I want to get a TV in a couple of years that supports progressive scan I thought I'd get a cheapie to get my by for a few years. I also wanted MP3 and other features.

So what did I do...I went to Sams and got a DAEWOO! Yes, a genuine POC DAEWOO 5700. Boy was I surprised. This thing actually feels better built than my Toshiba. It's heavier, and beefier. The thing is truly a feat for only $100 out the door.

I sure won't miss the dual transport jamb'a system in the Toshiba. This Daewoo is fast. Hit the eject, and bam! There it is. It loads DVDs with amazing quickness and whips through the menus with blazing speed compared to the toshiba. Sound quality is right on par, but the video needed some tweeking from my TV. Still a little "hot" compared to the Toshiba.

I can burn anything and it will play in this baby. MP3s are awesome, as it has on-screen file navigation and ID3 tag support. Just like the computer. It's so fast.

Here's the best part, I was able to hack it and disable the Macrovision and make it Region free in 10 minutes. It will play digital coax and analog out simultaneously, so I can hook it up to my VCR and record a DVD while watching it in DD or DTS at the same time.

Best $100 I ever spent on A/V. This would make a great suplement to anybody's system. You just have to get past the Daewoo stigma. Kind of like admitting you are better off without a centercwm30.gif