Why does my amp cut out?

Scott Baldassari

I have a 25 year old set of Heresy speakers that have performed flawlessly. A couple years ago, I was forced to change amplifiers to a cheap 80 watt unit and noticed that when the volume was turned up 2/3 of the way, the reciever woul just shut off. For Christmas I just an out and bought another low end amp (100 watt), thinking my amp was defective. Same problem - when the volume is pushed past 50 (1/2 way) the reciever simply shuts down. Any of you techies got a clue? Could it be speaker wire? Or is it the speaker themselves, and if so, can they be repaired by Klipsch ( I heard they were here in Arkansas), or can I bring them to "any" stereo shop for repair?

The fact that it's happened with two separate amplifiers suggests that the problem is external to the amp. This is just an guess but it may be that whatever you are inputting TO the amp may be at too high a level causing the amp to protection-shut down prematurely. Anyway, that's something to consider. Also, please triple-check your speaker cables to be sure that there is not even one small strand of wire (that may be almost invisible) shorting the connection to one or another of your speakers.

What exactly is a "solid" amp? Do you know if he speakers require a particular ohm or wattage or something. I was once more of a stereojunkie, now I just want good music. Occassionally, I like it loud (like when Im outdoors) - If I remember correctly, my speakers could scare you out of the house, when I had them hooked up to my old system.

I suppose that a possibility, but I would think my inputs we underpowered rather than overpowered, I am using things like a computer, and small cheap cd players, xm radio, etc. The wire sounds like a good possibility too, I am going to get some new speaker wire and try it. A friend also told me the the windings or resistors in the speakers can fail or short over time, I was thinking it might be a common problem, thats why I got on the forum.

I don't know how loud you are trying to get the Heresys, but it takes 250 watts each to get them to their absolute maximum output. Of course that would be a bit dangerous because the Heresy's are rated only 105 watts continuous.

Bob

What is the make and model of receiver / amp that you are using with the Heresy?

How long does it stop playing for? Does it come back on after that or do you have to turn everything off and back on again to work?

A friend also told me the the windings or resistors in the speakers can fail or short over time

That is true but the speakers are working then they stop. If they didn't work from the start then it could be the speakers plus it would just make them sound different from spec, or when they were brand new.

James

OK -

My apologies and thanks to all.

I think I have figured out the problem.

First, I have my sources volume turned up too high (or all the way), and they shut the amp down before it can reach maximum volume. When I turn the source volume down (my computer is what I was using for testing) I can crank the amp volume up much louder, and the sound is better.

Secound, I never knew what the volume on either of these receivers topped out at. I ASSUMED it would be 100. Its not. When I turn the source volume down, and the amp up, it tops out at 63. One of them even says "MAX" on the LED.

So, my apologies to all for waisting your time and I do appreciate the answers. Learn something new every day...

You might be in need of a larger amplifier. Of all the amps I have owned over my lifetime I have never actually turned one to max volume with the power cord plugged into an outlet. You are so very lucky those cheapo receivers as you put it have the safety built in of shutting down. Otherwise you would now be on your third receiver.[:|]