Icon W VS Reference Series

Jdb

Reference series usually mean the highest quality series in a speaker company's line. This is not always true but mostly it is. The reference series imo is the top line for Klipsch not withstanding the heritage and palladium line which serves different markets. The icon was built for a certain market and price range. Unfortunately some reference series are the same price of some icon series.

The Icon series is not replacing the Reference series. The Icon's are for someone wanting a slimmer, more stylish speaker than the Reference, yet that still retains a high level of performance. That's all. I don't think you can go wrong either way. That said, of course the Reference line has bigger, badder models than the top Icon speaker, so those models will play louder and lower. But, if you mate the Icons with a good sub or two, the comparison is much closer and becomes a matter of preference.

I've had the pleasure of hearing the ICON series at Klipsch. As JD pointed out I don't think you can go wrong either way.

However, to me, the ICON series is smoother than reference and it has a unique sound that almost sounds like the Heritage series.

Price wise a comprable ICON series VS the RF 82 series you will find at MSRP that the RF 82 is about 100.00 less than the ICON WF 35.

Hope this helps.