Room Acoustics Advice...Help!

bignasty27

forumsOK, firstly a big thank you to all those that have helped me so far. I have changed out or upgraded componants, xlrs, speaker wire, power cords but I am still not getting the sound I want. I am fairly certain it is not my equipment or I least I hope not. Im running the complete RF7 package with RF-7 Floorstanders ,RC-7 Center ,RS-7 Surrounds, RCW-5 in wall and finally the RSW-15 Subwoofer all powered by my B&K 200.7 amp and the latest Onkyo preamp so I know my equipment is decent. Im still lacking the depth and clarity in my sound and from all I have read it has go to be the acoustics in the room.

The room is 20 feet long by 11 wide and ceilings about 7.5 high. I put soundproofing insulation in the ceiling before we drywalled everything. The walls are all made of cinderblock now covered by regular drywall and painted. The floor is concrete covered by laminate strips. I will include pictures as soon as I figure out how to insert them but I can tell you that my unit is resting in a wall cabinet made specifically for my HT, floor to ceiling. The end wall is also a wall unit/bookcase with a fireplace built in, floor to ceiling. There is also an 8 foot doorway on one side of the wall where you walk in from.

My question is how many acoustical panels (sizes) are needed or how do I go about placing them in the room? Do I need any directly behind my speakers? Do any need to be on the ceiling? corners? What type of carpet/rug do I need to get help dampen the sound? Im looking to make the panels myself using DIY recipe I found in this forum. Do I need to close out the doorway by adding doors? There are two 4x3 windows on the one wall, should those be covered by long curtains? I am looking for any advice to help improve the sound and get the most out of my system.

I have included some pictures to get a better idea of the room.

Thank you!

The room IMO is the most important factor to any system. We rearranged our living room to better suit the system; and open up a little more space. It was like we bought a totally different system! I'm going to do the acoustic panels later. We're still renting, so I don't want to go through the trouble just to take them all down when we move!