Crown K2 input sensativity switch question

Coytee

Seems you can switch the input between "1.4V for full rated output (33 db gain)" or "a fixed voltage gain of 26 db"

This might just be a printing error on them but why would they give this information in two different formats?

Wouldn't it make more sense to say 1.4V vs 2.3V (what ever the number might be), or maybe 33db gain vs 26 db gain?

The reason I'm noticing this is, it dawned on me the other day that if I switch to the 26db input, it might allow (force) me to use a higher volume on my preamp which then, might drive my Dx further into its signal range to help any s/n issues I've read about.

I pulled out the Crown manual and found the above descriptions. Rather than simply answer the question I was after (how and where do I change the input sensativity) they confused me a bit by changing how they describe it.

Is there any reason they use two different terms to describe it or am I reading too much into it?

I might add that on the back of the amp itself, it says "1.4V 26db" under the selector switch.

"The reason I'm noticing this is, it dawned on me the other
day that if I switch to the 26db input, it might allow (force) me to
use a higher volume on my preamp which then, might drive my Dx further
into its signal range to help any s/n issues I've read about. "

Yes, but if you want to take it further then that turn down the input level controls and you would have to turn up you levels higher.

Shawn