restoring painted speakers?

carbon summit

I've found a pair of little KGs for my son's room pretty cheap. I made the mistake of playing Wii with him on the main HT system and now he always wants to do it. I've got an old receiver I can put in his room so now I'm looking for some small KGs for the four corners. They were oak but they've been painted. How hard would it be to strip the paint off and refinish them as oiled oak again?

What the guy told me:

"They are painted with Sherwn Williams Quick Dry oil enamel dry in 30 min. They have three thin coats. You should be able to strip and then sand off. The wood is solid oak so yes you should be able finish naturally after. Thats my proffesional opinion I am a Sherwin Williams Tech Rep."

I said they are a veener not solid oak, then he said:

"Sorry you are correct they are veneer. Strip first then sand, not to deep be careful. Kevin"

Will this turn out ok or should I just leave them black and leave well enough alone?

This is a good lesson for me as I've got a line on a pair of old Cornwalls that were BR but painted black. If I'd ever buy them I can see on a smaller cheaper scale what I'm getting into!!

This may truly be a pointless venture since I think its the bass that he likes more than the surround sound effect. I'm not putting a sub in his room!!
He's only six so I'm hoping having his own receiver and surround sound system will distract him from taking over the main HT. I've got the old receiver sitting unused and little KGs are pretty cheap so what the heck, right?