Hey Tubies, I found my HF-81 - feedback needed

No Disc

Well, I found my HF-81. I won't get it for several weeks since the guy selling it won't part with it until he is done with new tube project. Anyway here is what he listed is in the unit.

Tubes are:

NOS EZ81(rectifier)

EH12AX7

EI EL84

purchased from Ned at Triode Electronics.

Coupling caps are Auricaps(superb)

Electrolytics are Nichicon,and Sprague.

I know little to nothing if this is typical or a good setup for the HF-81. I'd like to get some input here.

Thanks in advance.

- tb

------------------

Tim's Home Theater

Tim,

Congrats! You've got everything already done that you'll need to connect and enjoy. What speakers are you planning to use? Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? It may give others a benchmark value/cost of these units.

My HF81 was quite a revelation with very average tubes. I initially used the matched EI output tubes to replace unmatched Teslas and liked them. Add NOS and it gets even better. Save that for later. For the present though, just connect and enjoy. My HF81, with a full chasis of NOS tubes, will soon be driving a pair of Cornwalls and I can't wait to hear it again.

Tell us what YOU think, AFTER you've listened. Beware that you may want to make other upgrades to your system after you hear what the HF81 does.

Enjoy!

KLipsch out

2 Channel

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa modified PP-1 Phono preamplifier

Rega 3 turntable, Rega 300 tonearm; Elys cartridge

AH!Tjoeb99 CD Player

Edmond is right, if the person doing the repair work is competent, then a good portion of the updates you would be doing down the line are done (and the part selection is excellent). Too bad you didnt get any good NOS valves in there, but what IS there is very competent. And ultimately, the circuit is far more important than the parts. Upgrade the tubes down the line will come. Just enjoy the beast!

You sound like you got a great deal. Hope you enjoy it.

kh

Thanks guys... your feedback is much appreciated!

jazman - Initially I'll be hooking the EICO up to a pair of Kg4's. As budget allows I'm going to move up to a Chrous II, Heresy, or pehaps a Forte or Cornwell.

BTW: I'm very much looking forward to reading Mobiles amp shootout. Should be very good info for the budget audiophile!

I can forseee spending $$ this year on Klipsch stuff, but also on tube amps....

cwm41.gif

------------------

Tim's Home Theater

jazman - I forgot, the guy with the Eico responded to my wanted AD on Audiogon. I listed I would pay up to $350 for a primo HF-81. I'm still waiting for pics of the unit, but he tells me this is a very clean unit and been well refurbished.

Since it has everything I need, I figured the time and money I would have to pay on tubes, caps, sodering equip (which I don't have BTW), the price is worth it to me.

- tb

------------------

Tim's Home Theater