Home Theater Setup Recommendations

Imagineer12

Hi, I will be upgrading my HT setup very soon, but am still learning the technicalities to a good setup. After testing out different kinds of speakers, I have decided on Klipsch. Since i'm also consolidating from my current setup (an Aiwa 5.1 shelf system from 1998, L/R main speakers are 60w surround is 33w) I was looking at smaller speakers that output big sound and like the RSX-4. I probably listen to music 55% in 2.1 and movies the other 45% with my system in my bedroom. So my first question is should I settle with the RSX-4 or go with the RSX-5? I could not find a local carrier who carries the RSX-5 to compare the RSX-4 to so i'm looking for opinions. Also for the center channel should i stick with the RSX-4 or would the C-1 or 2 be an ok pair up?

I will be pairing this with a new CD player (an Oppo DV980, I like the idea to have the option to get sa-cd or dvd-a), I have a PS3 for blu-ray and will also be using various game consoles on it, and I need a a/v reciever.

Now my second question is what reciver would be good to pair this setup with? So far I have heard that Harman Kardon, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, and Pioneer Elite are good with Klipsch, but what should I look for, how much power, or if someone already knows a good match let me know. I'd like to stay within my initial plan of no more than $300 for the reciever, but I am considering stretching that a bit further, but again, I don't reallly know what exacty to look for to get the most out of the speakers. I want to be able to play music in 2.1 when desired so I need a reciever that will output to the sub while in stereo mode, from what I've seen this eliminates the standard Pioneer recievers. My TV only outputs 720p/1080i, and does not have an HDMI input, however I do want the option to connect the oppo though hdmi for music, and if it will allow a reroute for hdmi to display through component would be nice, though not neccessary. Also a 5.1 reciever is fine, this will remain a bedroom setup, later on when I have my own home, i'll think about 7.1. Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Klipsch recommends grouping the RCX-4 with the RSX-5's or the RSX-4's. I would not use the C1 or C2 with either of those mains. Your setup will not be timbre-matched if you mix and match. As far as the RSX-5's over the RSX-4's, the 5's will provide a "little" more oomph and bass than the 4's. I currently have the 4's as surrounds with my main system and for now they sound fine. I will upgrade later and move them into the bedroom and complete that system properly. I would like to warn you now before it is too late, you will upgrade later. Less than two years ago I bought the Quintet III's and a Sub10. Two weeks later I returned the Sub10 and bought an RW-10d sub. Two weeks later I found a killer deal on 3 RVX-42's($150.00ea) and 2 RSX-4's($98.00ea). One week later sold the QIII's to a friend. Six months later I found a great deal at Sound Advice on a pair of RB-35's(149.99ea) and an RC-62. Then I moved the RVX-42's to the bedroom. Two weeks later bought a used(less than 1 year) pair of cherry RF-63's($1000.00 delivered) and then returned the RB-35's for a refund. Then finally two months ago I bought an RSW-10d sub($500.00) and moved the RW-10d to the bedroom. My point is to buy the best system you can afford now and then you will build some resistance to this upgrade sickness.

Bill

Thanks, I know the right center channel now. Since my bedroom is a regular (not the master bedroom) would it be overkill to set up with RSX-5's as the mains with RSX-4 as surrounds, or should I go all RSX-4's?

Now it still remains what is the best reciever to get for them. If no one has any ideas, does anyone know a good link to educate me on how to match up speakers and receivers? I'm considering being able to spend up to $500 for it, but If that would be overkill for this setup, I'd still like to save where possible.

Also, I realize I'll want to upgrade eventually, but I think this will be a good bedroom setup for a long while until i get my own place where I can really set up a nice main system. Thanks again.

Since the audio is covered.

As for the TV, if it is HD, as your saying does 720p/1080i yet has no HDMI inputs, then I'm sure it has atleast one DVI input atleast. Most of the older TV's I have seen had this aside from components. You can get a HMDI to DVI cable and that should allow you to use the reciever as your video switcher as well.

Fromt he sounds of it on the forums from my reading. People do hear differences betwene recievers with their setups. Some prefer Yamaha, others Denon or Onokyo. Just a quick search on crutchfield(it was convient for me to pull up)...im sure you maybe able to get cheaper.

Marantz SR4003 $549
Yamaha RX-V663 $499
Onkyo TX-SR606 $399
Sony STR-DG920 $449
Denon AVR-1909 $599
Onkyo TX-SR706 $599

If I was to get one today, I would most likely go wth the Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo, but I would need to read into each one a little more. Even if they have some features beyond what you need now. Like the 7.1 HD Master Audio decoding.

My other suggestions would be to try looking up on AVSforums. They have some good information.