Has anyone here used a Django TVC preamp?

dkalsi

If you have used a Django TVC preamp, please let me know your thoughts. I have a lead to buy a Django with S&B Transformers (apparently more sought after) for approximately $1200. I think that is a hefty price considering it sold for that much brand new in kit form (but only $150 more assembled). This particular unit was factory assembled.

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dhar

I don't know the Django but a couple of days ago I received a Music First Audio TVC preamp for and audition (same S&B transformers) and it didn't do it for me.

Although, main system speakers a insensitive BBC LS3/5A, The sound wasn't too dynamic enough for me. However, it did sound very smooth, evenly balanced and pleasant. Tried it in a different system with Altec 19's and overall impression was quite the same.

Thanks for your response Landau,

Yeah I have someone local offering it to me for $1200 USD. I have requested him if he would allow me to test the unit in my system before I puchase.

Is $1200 a fair price for these units given the fact that new units no longer have the S&B transformers.

I believe a member here at the forum (Colin??) may have had one in the past and I remember him making positive remarks about it.

Do you think there are other preamps (comprable in price) that provide better sonics?

Thanks

I've never had the opportunity to listen to a Django and although I've read they are nice, $1200 used seems a little on the high side to me.

I'm currently using a Promitheus Audio Ref. 4 TVC ($680 new) and like it very much, they also make a TVC with C core tranny's with seperate ebony

enclosures for each channel for around $1380 which is said to be quite a bit better.

$1200 seem OK to me as the other options which use the S&B transformers are made by Audio Zone and cost $2395 and by Music First Audio and I think it costs $2500.

I still recommend you to try and audition the preamp before you purchase it as matching with other components is the key to its sound.