Hi-speed internet or "Welcome to the future"

germerikan

I´ve been testing my T-Home connection (Telephone, Internet and TV/Radio) for 3 months now and thought I would give a little info and ask what is happening over in the good ol U.S. of A.

First the data:

Connection 51384 kBit/s Downstream, Media reciever with HDMI Connection 1.1 (will be updated in the future to 1.3), 70 Tv Channels and Web radio en mass.

The tv is exactly what you would expect from normal cable connection, there are some problems (mostly bit artifacts) every once in a while but nothing to bad. What I do like is that even though I do not have a blue ray I can still watch Hi-dev films. You can call videos up directly through the media reciever and they are billed directly to your phone bill, costing around 2 - 5 € depending on which movie for a 24 hour period (The rental stores are 3 € for 24 hours). The Video quality is well HD just like I saw in the demos when looking for BR players. Audio is the weak point right now with "only" Dolby Pro Logic II so an update to BR Player only for the True HD sound will be in the future. The picture is brilliant though!!!

Web radio is very cool. Most of what I´m listening to is 128 to 196 kBit/s and just like putting in a CD. I have the feeling that my CD collection went from 116 to unlimited and am very happy. Could it be better? Probably. Is it better than normal radio? 100%

Well I just wanted to share whats happeining here in Germany, my feelings are that within the next year or so we will be having full hd video and audio. How is this moving in the states??

the key comparison point would be costs differences in Germany and the US. In the US, there are varying levels of service based on costs. For example, a fiber connection to the internet is about 35 dollars for 10/5 and 45 dollars for 20/10. The costs may seem expensive and/or the bandwith low, but routers sold for home use are not powerful enough to really make use of higher bandwidths. Once you add wireless, then your bandwith drops even more. So most folks pay for what they can use, rather than trying to adapt their home network to use the most they can pay for.

The prices in Germany I think are pretty high.

If you just want to watch tv without HDTV it starts at 16Mb and depending on your tel. line either 49€ or 53 € (49 for normal 53 for ISDN)

The next level is DSL 25 costing 59€ normal / 63€ ISDN this is with 70chanels/ HDTV

Then comes DSL50+ 69€ normal / 73€ ISDN with over 100 chanels/HDTV

With the two higher levels you also get flatrate wlan hotspot Germany wide (normally in rest stops on the autobahn and McDonalds) so it dosent matter where I am I have connection to the internet and it does not cost anything. The router and media router (set top box) was also free just one lan cable from set top to router. The WLAN router is using N+ so it is very fast.

My normal telephone bill was around 35€ month so I´m paying more but I did not have internet (hi or low speed) so I think it is worth it.