rear center placement?

onemike

Hello!

I just bought a KLF C-7 with which I plan to replace my current RC-3. The question now is where on the backwall I should place my RC-3 in my ES/EX setup. Unfortunately i´m forced to have my sofa against the backwall which isn´t the best solution. If someone has a good idea where to place it I would be thankful and if so here are some useful measurements to concider:

From listening position to TV screen: 9 feet

From TV to left/right fronts (KLF 20´s): 4 feet

From listening pos. to L/R surrounds (KSP S6´s): 4 feet

and they are mounted 4.5 feet up on the wall pointing inward towards the listening position.

I will put the RC-3 right in the middle of these which also will be direct in front of the TV screen. What I want to know is if I should:

a. Put the rear back in the same height as the KSP S6´s

b. Or should I put it higher up as I have my couch against the back wall?

c. Should I try to point it up or down or should it just be completely horizontal.

The C-7 will be placed under the TV at the same height as the horns on the KLF 20´s. Thanks! Mike!

As previously mentioned, onemike, the rear effects speaker for 6.1 is the least critical of them all. In your situation, you may find it worthwhile to mount it near the ceiling pointed downwards. Directly behind can be fairly startling on some discrete tracks.

Besides, shouldn't you at least go to being twomike if your going to go beyond stereo? cwm4.gif Enjoy. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-09-2002 at 07:19 PM

Thanks for your input HornEd.

Haven´t you heard the phrase from a certain movie that goes: "There can be only one" Wink.gif Therefore twomike wouldn´t sound to good in my opinion. If I should place my rear center pointing down, how do I make it stay up there without falling down then. I´m asking because I have a really tough concrete wall to work with and I guess I have to put the speaker into something right? Any ideas? Mike

Actually, onemike, my lame attempt at humor was by assuming the mike was short for microphone and not your name... hence a onemike rig would be monophonic and your question not as germane. Having changed careers about every ten years, at least I have had the wisdom not to try being a comedian! cwm16.gif

A good way to test the effect would be to lay the speaker behind your couch face up. The ambient aspect of the sound would likely be even more effective that way... with only some loss in the tweeter aspects.

Concrete walls can be tough... particularly due to their lack of sound absorption... which increases the benefits of an upwards facing speaker. You could also place the speaker on top of a low bookcase behind the couch. Let us know how it goes.

HornEd

I pretty much understood your twomike joke and i´m also not much of a comedian so this was the only good comeback I could think of Wink.gif As for the speaker placement i´m thinking of placing hooks in the cealing and from them hang chains down to a speakermatching shelf. The chains will be shorter up front so that the speaker will point downwards. Of courese then I have to include a wall about an inch high at the front of the shelf which will prevent the spekaer from falling in my head. What do you think about that? Mike

I need to scoot, onemkie, so this will be quick. Be sure to try it on its back pointed toward the ceiling first. If you sofa is very close to the wall, you would have to have it pointing straight down to get the effect you desire. You might even get a good effect by aiming the speaker at the back wall and letting it bounce toward the back of your ears. This is one of those acoustic challenges that calls for some far out experimentation. You may be surprised at what works. Sound mapping a given room is far more complicated than most people realize. Good luck. HornEd