Klipsch KP-480 - PLEASE HURRY!!!

wsu99999

Hey Subwoofer Junkies - -

I have an URGENT question for you. I have a guy that is willing to sell a KP-480 to me for 290 bucks. All I know is several years ago this sub retailed for around a grand. I know it's used for professional setups, but I need to know how it will work in a home theater/home stereo application. Clearly, I will need an additional amplifier, but I need to know if anyone out there has used this sub for home use. Also, is the price I'm getting it for good?

It sounds like a great deal - 18" active woofer and 15" passive for under 300 bucks! Let me know ASAP because I would need to buy it today or I will miss out.

Here are the specs - on paper, how does it look?

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 44Hz - 200Hz±4dB (-10dB @ 34Hz) @ 3 meters, 1/2 space anechoic—Usable response to 2.5kHz

POWER HANDLING 400 watts (44.7V)

SENSITIVITY 103dB @ 2.83V, 1 meter, 1/2 space anechoic

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms, 5 ohms minimum @ 43Hz

MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT 127dB

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 150Hz

COVERAGE ANGLE Essentially omnidirectional below 150Hz

WOOFER One 18" K-49-K die-cast aluminum frame woofer and one 15" KD-17 passive radiator

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL 1" baffle board; all sides 0.75" (19mm) plywood, internally braced, lined with acoustical foam.

INPUT CONNECTIONS Parallel-locking Neutrik® D-shell 0.25" phone jacks and red/black five-way binding posts. Input is fused (4-A recommended).

DIMENSIONS 26.9" (68.3cm) x 23.825" (60.6cm) x 24" (61.1cm)

WEIGHT 85 lbs. (38.6kg) Net/99 lbs. (45kg) Shipping

The kp-480 is designed to be connected in line with a lascala. There are input connections from the amp and output connections to the LaScala. Ideally you would need a pair.

These are not really sub woofers in the HT sense.

For the kind of money you are talking about, you can buy a powered sub woofer with dual passive inputs or line level inputs. My JBL120 subwoofer cost me 300 bucks and has a built in 400 watt amp.

keep in mind it's half space measured specs listed above. Typical home envirnment is 1/4 or 1/8 space which equates to room gain on the lowest frequencies.

with that high sensitivity you could EQ it to a degree and get useful bass extension at 30Hz.

I own two for PA purposes, and as I have DJ'd with them in large ballrooms and put the power to them, they are visceral and very good sounding/ low distortion tuneful bass/ not the typical droning of most PA subs.

I limit the power at 20 Hz as they do come 'unglued' 'down there'... where some new heavy dance music resides... the passive radiators unload and have a flapping sound. if anything it is an audible governor and I back them down a bit, all the while the 18" drivers are protected. But that is when I am dumping 2500 watts peak into them. I would *never* play them that loud at home...

on the other hand you may ultimately spend more $ to tune them appropriately for home use, and defeat the great deal.

• Like 1