Promedia 2.1 left channel doesn't work sometimes*Update*I fixed it

jlab17

so i got a fixed control pod, that fixed issues of both speakers not working sometimes. now the left speaker only works when it wants to. I opened up the control and sub and cleaned everything and removed all connections/fuses then reinserted them. That worked, but that was last week and now i have this problem again. What should i do?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem but with the right speaker. I'll plug in my old speaker set and viola, both work. What's up with all these Klipsch issues? I'm starting to feel like they're not the company they once were. Talk about a bunch of hassle over computer speakers. Don't we spend the extra money on products like Klipsch so the sound is great without all these issues? I guess it's officially a wal-mart world! :( Might as well start buying cheap and prepare for replacement instead of repair. Klipsch, please step it up and make products to last! When these speakers do work right, they sound great! - jmabney@gmail.com

what with all of the klipsch bashing? I figured out my problem. Its the audio wire. There were intial problems with it so i turned to a aux input and then i got my problem. I took apart the green plastic casing and reconnected and re sodered the wires and now it works like a champ. Try changing control pod or use an aux wire input, or if you do use a better one. Its better than sending the unit in for repair

I repair both DIN Plugs and the 1/8" stereo plugs and i use the highest quality replacement parts available and I offer a free lifetime guarantee on all my work. I also make very nice High Quality Speaker wires for these systems and a fraction of what Klipsch charges for the Monster Cable brand and i will make them in any length desired.

I bought a bunch of these slightly used 2.1 systems for resale. I've tested 17 of them so far and every one has a dead left channel. I've mixed and matched speakers, wires, etc. and come to the same conclusion. The left channels from the subwoofer don't work. On one of them, I took the control pod apart and reseated the large wire with no luck. Can anyone help? I'm desperate!

Uhhh, there is something seriously wrong there, you mean to tell me that you have tested 17 units so far and all of them have the left channel out? If so then I would first check your sound source and see if it is functioning properlly, becuase I have never heard of anything like that, Ever! either that or you got screwed on your purchase, but even still to have all of them with the same problem is very highly unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a new control pod wire ( the one that connects to the sub). I replaced that for the wire which was defective. However, the wire they give you that comes out of the control pod and goes to the sound source had a problem with it. So i started using the Auxilary input, there are two inputs on the side of the control pod, one is headphones, one is aux input. I bought a wire from radio shack and that worked alright for a couple days, then I go my problem.

Soon, it stopped working at all. So i resorted to the defective wire that came with the control pod and was connected to it. I realized it worked when i twisted it a certain way so I realized there was a problem inside the green casing. Piece by piece i took of the green casing ( i just used plyers to break a small piece off at a time). I reconnected all of the wires and it worked fine, however I had no soldering gun so taking it apart didnt work. Instead, I cut the radioshack wire, about 7 inches from the plug and cut the wire from the control pod . Then i stripped all of the wires and connected the red wire to the black wire, white to white, and the center wire (its not encased in anything) to each other. Now I have a working system.

So thats what i did to fix my problem. I don't think you can replace the wire from the control pod that has the plug, like you can the one that goes to the sub. So this should be your last resort. Before you try this you should try everypossible cominbation of wires, slots, and speakers.

Hope this helps!

So heres what happened in my situation:

My Aux input receiever ( whatever you want to call it) the thing inside the control pod was no functioning properly.

My cord that was connected to the conrol pod that plugs into the headphone jack on the divice was broken as well.

My solution: cut the bad wire, cut a good wire and put them together.

-Go ASU[6]

Hey gary, are you using the same control pod for all of the systems? If so it seems like a control pod problem.

Oh yeah, Mister Clean, I dont appreciate you advertising in my post, you can make your own topic explaining your practice and everything

There are (2) better options, both inolve solder however, but the first would be to just buy a repalcement solder type plug and install it, the second would be to buy a new stereo headphone type cable and cut one end off and solder it inside the pod where the current cables goes. both will give a better replacement solution in my opinion.

I agree. I'm just dont have access to solder right now so twisting wires is the best option i have right now. I know its not good in electric conductivity becuase i also fold the wire back on itself, but I really don't notice the difference

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be having the same problem with my Promedia 2.1 that many people in this forum have. I just moved my set to another room in my home, hooked it up, and now I am having channel issues. When Everything is hooked up & wired in (with a working iPod as sound source, but have also tried other inputs as well):

- Control Pod Light is Green

- Left Channel is putting out sound, but not the Right, and nothing out of the sub

- Left Channel Sound is very low, and somewhat tinny.
- This sound only occurs when the "Main Volume" is all the way down

- When the Volume control is turned up, the Left Channel volume disapates, and you can start hearing some output from the sub.

- This output from the sub does not change by using the Sub control on the Control Pod

- However, if I do fiddle around with plugging in the DIN to the sub, I can SOMETIMES get the Left Channel to produce full, decent quality sound. Though if I do this, the Pod light is not lit. Yet, the problem with the volume control still presents itself (where it has to be all the way down to make any sound)

I have done the basic troubleshooting as thus:

- Checked the wiring connection on the speakers at both the sub & speakers. Both are good

- Swapped the speakers, and the same symptoms are present (low volume, nothing out of other chan, etc.)

- Checked Control Pod for Bent Pins, saw none.

Please Note, I am not an audiophile by any means, but am an avid computer & electronics geek, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

--Tyler

OK, quick update.

I just was putting everything back in place, and as I was sliding the sub into its place, I much have nudged it against something, because my left channel & sub is working PERFECTLY. However, still no sound from the Right channel at all.

I took another gander, and it seems that if I attempt to move the DIN connecter at all while it is fully plugged into the sub, my old problem comes back. However, if I position it just right, the left channel works again. Does this signify that the problem is with the Control Pod DIN plug after all I assume?

Thanks in advance for any reply,

--Tyler

* Update Again, Not Because Anyone may be looking, but just because I am that OCD *

Problem fixed. It was the DIN connection into the sub from the Control Pod. Seems as though the wires on the inside frayed enough to cause the problem.

Solution: Cut the DIN off the cord, stripped it down to the solder contacts & re-soldered the stripped wires back on. Hot-Glue inbetween the wires to simulate the insulation that was in the DIN originally, and plugged it back in. VOILA! Works like new :)

--Tyler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...