4.1 or 5.1?

Neuro

My usage for a 4.1 or 5.1 will be music (CD and mp3), DVD, and 3D games. I don't do one way more than the other, so I can't say which one I do the most. I'm planning on upgrading to a 6-channel sound card soon like the Acoustic Edge, Santa Cruz, or Audigy. So I would be able to make full use of the 5.1s BUT is it worth it? My first thought was hell yeah, but I'd like to hear some people compare them. (BTW they'll be in my very small bedroom, so I don't need to fill any large room with sound)

I have not heard a computer 5.1 set before that was setup right. It wasn't Klipsch either. I do, however, have te Klipsch 4.1 set and I like them very much. I modded them and added banana plugs and better cables and it made a pretty noticeable difference. Now they are incredible. I mostly listen to music now, but I somtimes play games and I like to watch DVDs now and then too. They sound great and I can't see how a center channel would make to much difference. I don't have a good place to put it either. I guess it go all the way on top of my 21" monitor, but that's a lot higher than the satalites. I found that putting my omputer on the floor and spacing the front stalites out as wide as my desk and pushing them back a bit made a difference too. I don't think the 5.1 is worth another $100. I would go get the 4.1 and some better cables.... Well... I DID do that.Wink.gif

------------------

I wish I had a space ship.

it depends on what you do most.

if music and gaming are done most, then then 4.1's. if movies done most, the 5.1's. or movies often enough to pay the extra money.

i would get either the GTXP, AE or Santa Cruz. it depends again one what you will be doing the most with this system.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

having a real center channel and some some extra large subwoofers is a big plus for me. i like to watch movies at movie theater volume Smile.gif both systems can provide the volume, but adding the center channel is a big plus to me. you really get to take advantage of programs like PowerDVD 4.0 XP which can decode DTS... it is amazing. it is still amazing on 4.1 speakers but like i said, the center, whew! Smile.gif

for music and gaming though, i would stick with the 4.1's, just for the cost sake. it is rare that you find a 5.1 game and unless you have an AE GTXP or Santa Cruz you won't get 5.1 mp3's. creative cards suck when it comes to this.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Right now Dell is having a great deal on the Santa Cruz card. 10% off their $69 price, while CompUSA has them for $79. So I'm tempted to get the Santa Cruz right now because of the savings.

But before I go and do this, I'm debating right now between this and the Acoustic Edge. I know the AE can decode anything into 5 channels (which appeals to me greatly), but how well does the SC do in this manner?

I don't know how much I can emphasize this. You get the 5.1's for the sub, and the sats that are a little better. Not the center. The center in a pc enviroment is not important enough to get 5.1 over 4.1. It's just not worth the money. You should buy a system with better quality that is 2.1 or 4.1 instead of a 5.1 system just for the center. I wouldn't get the pro 4.1's. The logitech will match them for a whole lot cheaper. If you're going to go with Klipsch, get the 5.1. Get it for the quality sub, and the even though I said this doesn't really matter, the center. If a better sub more neutral sound, and a center is not enough to throw an extra $200-250 into a system, then get the logitech z-560.

And for the sound cards, get the audigy for games, the sc for music, and the ae as a cross between the 2.

Uh, as far as I can tell, The Klipsch 5.1 set has the same sub and the same satalites and a different controll pod. The amp is a little bigger too. But you seem to be paying another $100 mostly for the center channel. The center channel also kind bugs me on this set. The mid range driver is on one side and the tweater is on the other. It is not semetrical. I have the KPM 4.1 and if I tunr one of the satalites on its side i can tell that the high and mid tones are comming from different parts of the speakers and that would really piss me off in a center chennel. If it were a bigger center channel with two mid drivers and the tweater in the middle it would be fine. As it is, I love my modded 4.1 set and I would not trade them for any of the other promedias.

------------------

I wish I had a space ship.

nonono. the 5.1 sub is MUCH better than the 4.1 sub, much better. if you have your speakers setup correctly you should not have the problem, in fact, most reviewers compliment Klipsch's sound dispersion field that spreads the sound so you don't hear a diff from the bass, to the mid, to the tweaters.

the 5.1's also have new tweeters and a new inside to the sats, not a huge change but look here. first is the promedia 4.1 sat and the sub and the amp/crossover, and then teh 5.1 sat and sub and the amp/crossover.

edit: i am going to redo this post, i can not get the pics to work right..........

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 02-14-2002 at 08:49 PM

ok, here is how it is going to go.

4.1 Sattellite vs 5.1

4.1 Sub woofer vs 5.1

4.1 amplifier vs 5.1

speaker_guts.jpg

pm51speaker_guts.jpg

pm41sub_guts.jpg

sub_guts.jpg

amp_crossover.jpg

pm51amp_guts.jpg

ok, now lets hope it works Smile.gif

------------------

-justin