Second set of Forte IIs for surrounds worth it?

carbon summit

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,I agree totally about using Forte II as a stand for tv.I will try & show you my ht set up.(via pics).I have three forte"s across front.The center is a Forte I,that i purchased 3 months ago.The forte I sits on a stand 48 wide x 23 highx 23 (Walmart ).My tv is a 50"Pioneer Elite which sits on the Forte I & is supported well as Mark stated.Forte II's on floor next to stand.Rear Forte II's.The sound just blows me away.I have been a member since June of 08'.The people on this forum helped me make the decision to go with this set up.At first i thought the Plasma was a little high for viewing,but it only brings tv approx.34 inches from florr to bottom of tv.Having all the same sounds Great to me.As always thanks to the forum.

I played with this idea after seeing your pics since I wouldn't have to redo my whole set up like I would if I went with a Forte II standing upright. I don't think I can pull it off. My TV stand is only rated for 65 lbs and the shelves are glass so I hate to push my luck too much, especially on the top one the way its only held up by two arms on each end and nothing supporting it in the middle.

If it was only the Forte II I'd roll the dice since the weight of the speaker alone is 67 lbs and the weight of the speaker would be distributed pretty evenly across the shelf. The problem is I've got is the TV as high as it can go on the arm that runs up the back of the TV stand so I'd have to set the TV on the speaker like you did and my TV weighs 84 lbs. with pedestal; 71 lbs. without pedestal so there is no way the shelf is going to hold that! Especially with a 7 year old running around the house causing it to bounce. I just don't want to wall mount the TV, but if I change my mind on that then your setup would work for me too.

When I put my over 70 lbs Emotiva XPA-5 on the bottom shelf with a 17 lbs Panamax I cheated and put a piece of wood between the glass shelf and the floor out of sight to give it more support but I can't do that on any other shelf of course. Maybe I should have gotten a more industrial looking no glass having TV stand to support all these stuff. I didn't plan ahead I guess!

post-33518-13819447118562_thumb.jpg

That last pic looks like the glass is bowing up where the wood block is. I had to go look to make sure that wasn't the case. The glass shelf sits on these little rubber things every so often that the wood keep the glass at the same level as the rubber things hold it at so the glass doesn't bow down under the weight and crack. I figured someone would ask because it caught my eye so I figured I'd answer the question before it was asked!

post-33518-13819447125896_thumb.jpg