Sub advice

holtrp

Alright, heres the deal. I have a fairly large listening area and have always prefered the sound of 12's for low end because they have a tighter slam to my ear and have always produced that kick drum bass that you can feel in your chest. I just got a set of RF-83's and a RC-64 which replaced some old Paradigm Monitor 9's & a CC-190. Obviously, these speakers and the Emotiva XPA-3 (thanks again for showing me the online sale Bill!) have taken my HT a whole new level. I have a Velo SPL-1200R for a sub that sounded much better with the Paradigms and now it seems over powered and diminished by the new towers. I have turned up the volume on the Velo and played will all my settings but it still just doesn't keep up and sound as good with the 83's as it did before. HT is still fine but when I play music it is pretty obvious that I need more sub.

I had a chance to listen to the RT-12d but the listening room had a drop ceiling and I didn't have my cd's with me, plus the kid working there didn't seem to know all that much about what he was selling. I am hoping that the shop will let me do an in home demo on this speaker. I also had a chance to listen to the JL F113 & F112, and those both sounded amazing. So, I am considering adding another Velo SPL-1200R in the other corner, but I don't think it is going to give me the slam back, it will just balance out the sound. I could purchase a RT-12d and possibly add a second one down the road, or I could start saving for a JL 13 or 12 and possibly upgrade to a second one down the road. Or, I was thinking about checking out the Velo DD-12, which I have heard good things about. Or, who knows?

I really enjoy the sound of the sealed sub I have now, the bass is accurate and the sub is very punchy. I love the fact that this sub has a 1k amp (the JL's are even more outragous) and am a tad concerned that the Kilpsch only has a 800w amp, although, I would venture to guess that the extra radiators make up for the lower power.

I would love to hear some opinions on sub matches with the 83's. I don't really care all that much about HT, most the subs I have heard at the price point I am considering can rumble just fine, I am more concerned with music reproduction.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

As you've already mentioned, a DD-12 would be a good choice. Expensive, but good. It's very hard for anything but a bass horn to keep up with the low distortion levels provided by the DD series. For the record, I run a DD-18 with Cornwall IIIs and Heresy IIIs.