Any Teac RTR Techs out there?

kevinmi

Hi Forum Members,

I have a Teac X-1000R that I'm having problems with. I bought this unit used, and the belt needed replacing, which I did, along with the pinch rollers. Here is my problem-- I cannot get consistent tape tension from one direction to the other, or from the beginning of the tape to the center or end of the tape. I have done the obvious, such as cleaning and lube of the pinch roller linkage. I know there is a relationship between the pinch roller pressure stroke and the tape tension on both directions using the R-120 and R-220 pots. I have tried several different adjustments, but can't seem to get the tape to record/play consistently. It will start out fine, the I'll either gradually lose tension or get a loop of tape between the rollers. I cannot get the tension right no matter what I try. I have been advised that you cannot do this adjustment by "ear", and I'm willing to believe that. I do not own an occiloscope or test tapes or any other tension measuring devices to do this correctly. Am I overlooking and other related adjustments or do I simply need to send it out for professional help? Is there anyone out there I can send it to that can adjust it to factory specs? It is a really nice piece of equipment and I would love to get it working properly.

Thanks in advance for your help! -Kevin