RC-10, RC-52 or RC-62 center with Vintage LaScala ?

MJurasko

I have a pair of 1989 LaScala's that I would like to use in a home theater / living room stereo set up and am wondering which center channel speaker would be most compatible with them. I ahave a set of Tnagent 30's that I've been using on the rear channels.

I'm currently powering them with a DBX CX3 preamp and DBX BX3 power amp. But I'm considering using a Sony STR-DG-820 ot STR-DG-920 receiver. I;m not sure whether I'll use the pre-out and my old DBX power amp or use only the Sony to power the whole setup and maybe use my DBX amp to power a sub later.

I'd be thankful for any suggestions from someone who's made a similar setup on which center channel speaker would work best as well as any other setup suggestions.

I have played around with a set of Cornwalls as fronts in a reference system running thru a Sony DA4300ES with an RC64 center. . It sounded great but not as good as another cornwall center. I have set of lascallas-rears-k horns- fronts coming in 1 week which I will be using with the RC 64 as a center initially until I find a heritage center single speaker which may be difficult. My thoughts are after listening to lascallas would lead me to not mix any reference center with the horns. I feel that the RC64 is much better for what you are trying to do if you have ruled out another heritage as a center.I am of the opinion that the RC 64 is one of the best centers around and will sound pretty good with anything- But- you will have a horn mismatch.

Sony receivers get zero respect on this board. I am in the opposite camp. As long as you stay with the ES Product line. Easy to set up. Great GUI function. Decent preamp section for the money spent. I am using mine as an HT processor for all of the HDMI stuff with the pre outs powering separate amps. If you look hard enough you can find deals out there on recently upgraded ES models- 4300/5300 which makes the decision much easier. I am very happy with my Sony with 650.00 invested. I would be equally happy with a Marantz or a Denon in a comparable model at a deal.

You may want to look into setting up a Niles switching setup where you can use your preamp/amp with the Lascallas as a 2 channel setup for music as well as using them in your HT. Lots of us have a separate setup for music.

None of the center speakers you listed would be even close to matching your LaScalas. They are all much less efficient and voiced totally different. Different people have used other Heritage speakers as centers with LaScalas such as a Heresy, Cornwall or another LaScala. Klipsch made a center called an Academy that might work ok, it certainly would be a lot better than the current Reference series centers.

If given the choice between no center speaker and one that's totally mis-matched to my front mains, I'd choose no center speaker.