DIY Sub Help - Ear? Someone

wsu99999

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it will always light up when the volume is loud (whenever a bass drop hits), but it's nowhere even remotely close to the power of my 100 or so watt plate amp. I know something is wrong because I shouldn't even be able to turn it up loud hooked up to this amp. I expected to have to turn down all of my settings with the pre-amp and only use the gain at like 50%.

I'm pretty confident that it's hooked up right. I got it off ebay from a guy that sells audio gear regulary and it was used, but he has 100% feedback and is a power seller. i don't think he would have shipped a bad amp.

The subwoofer has dual 8ohm voice coils, ran together to create a 4ohm load. I've ran channel 1, then tested channel 2, then ran it briged (all the while changing to the correct jumper settings) and there is a significant lack of power. Even when it was setup bridged, it was weaker than a really low watt plate amp (mind you a high quality one). I have a RCA to XLR monoprice cable going from my reciver (marantz 7001) to the amp. Today, the Female to Male XLR cable arrives so I will be running it from the receiver to the Ultragain 2200 then from the 2200 to the amp.

I read a lot in the forums that the amp requires like 1.7V and I heard that when running from the reciever to the BFD then to the amp, the voltage is increased. I just really hope the Ultragain does the same thing or else I'm at a loss.

Exact wiring are as follows....

Rca to Xlr cable to amp (in subwoofer preout output)

12 Ga wire from amp to sub

I've tried all jumper settings and none increase the output.

The amp is hooked up to it's own outlet.

I've hooked up the amp in every configuration I can think of (ch1 ch2 bridged)

I'm pretty sure they are parallel. It's a dvc sub and I have the pos + neg connected to the other pos + neg and then going to the amp (i think). It's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember off the top of my head, but either way, even if I accidently did it in series and ran it at 16ohms, the behringer should still be way more powerful than the little plate amp. I'm pretty confident I wired it right, but I'm at work right now and can't verify 100%. There were no changes made since I removed the plate amp.

It's clearly hooked up because it's getting a little juice and I've tried both channels with the same results. I know it's probably something stupid - what am I missing?

Be sure you check DIP switches #3 and #8. You may be cutting all your output below either 30 or 50 Hz.

I'd also like you to try reversing the DIP switches mentioned above. The labling is VERY confusing, on means off etc.

I'm pretty sure they are parallel. It's a dvc sub and I have the pos + neg connected to the other pos + neg and then going to the amp (i think). It's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember off the top of my head, but either way, even if I accidently did it in series and ran it at 16ohms, the behringer should still be way more powerful than the little plate amp. I'm pretty confident I wired it right, but I'm at work right now and can't verify 100%. There were no changes made since I removed the plate amp.

That should be correct. Be sure all the positives are tied together and all the negatives are tied together.

I would think you'd get at least 200 wpc even at 16 Ohms.

I thought they were a bit confusing as well. There's the on/off colum on top and some of the on's are in the off colum. I know it's confusing, but I really think I have them right. I've tried every combo I can think of in bridged and non bridged mode. The only thing that could even effect the power level would be the low pass filter correct? Even at 30hz or 50hz, there is still plenty of base in the 60-120 area that I'm not hearing (at loud levels). I can only think of the voltage thing being the culprit.

If your getting signal lights I would think your input voltage is fine.

I spent a couple months building my IB. When the moment of truth arrived and I threw my favorite bass heavy DVD I was sick with disapointment. All my hard work and money down the drain. I went through pretty much the same thing you're going through now. After I finally realized that the DIP switches were more or less labled counter logically and I reversed them, I realized what the amp and the IB could do.

Maybe your right. They would have to be labled differently than the manuel and back of the unit state otherwise I have everything set right. What are the settings you ended up doing? What settings would you use if you were just using one channel for a subwoofer (like my setup)?

WSU: I measured the unit to get the maximally flat response through the unit with high pass filter at 25 hz. Here is the screen shot from REW ) Room Eq wizard. Pics of the dials are coming next. Red is with high pass alone, blue is with a slight bit of eq to flatten the bit of a rise before the high pass rolls off.

post-9504-13819447342062_thumb.jpg

Dial settings: The settings below represent the maximally flat response through the unit, the only LED's that should be lit up are as follows, LO CUT, 0.1, as well as EQ in/ out.

The DB output dial is set in my system to be close to +9DBU when the Marantz AV Receiver is close to full output. The amp gain control is set to just very slightly clip on the loudest signal that will be played.

Your setting may be different in order to get the proper amount of gain in each piece.

post-9504-13819447343212_thumb.jpg

Maybe your right. They would have to be labled differently than the manuel and back of the unit state otherwise I have everything set right. What are the settings you ended up doing? What settings would you use if you were just using one channel for a subwoofer (like my setup)?

I can look tonight when I get home, if you like, I can PM you my phone number and you can call me at home at a set time, and we can go switch by switch.