Seperate phono pre or no?

MechMan

Hi guys.

I have been wondering how much of an improvement an external phono preamp would be over the internal in my C-33? Would I need to spend a bundle to get better sound, or is a seperate always gonna be better sounding? For the record it sounds just fine at the moment...no need to upgrade unless it makes a good deal of difference.

I keep seeing good deals on them, (like Coyotee's) and it always makes me wonder if I should get one.

I'm currently using a td-160 with the stock tp-16 arm and an ortofon super om-20.

Thanks for the input guys. I think what I am really asking is advice on models and such.

Of coarse I want better sound...but can I get that from some of the sub $300 units I keep seeing pop up. I have done some research, but can't seem to come up with an answer like "you would need at least this, or that to better the Mc's internal"

Take the little red Bellari for example...Would that be a step up from the Mc's internal. I know in the long run it's my ears that will tell me if I like it...but I'd hate to waste money buying something that would not, or at least should not better the Mc.

I've never used an external, so I have absolutely no idea where to begin looking.

Thanks again for the help

I doubt it.

I think more realistically you are looking at spending > $750 to get a significant and worthwhile upgrade.

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for.

It gives me some direction. I have been wondering about the switch to moving coil (and the expense that comes with) for a while, and it seems like the most obvious step up the ladder.

Now I have to decide on a new table, or at least an arm upgrade...man, It never ends.