Over/On ear headphones

vondy

Looking for some over or on the ear headphones. Mostlly for iPod listening on the go, planes, trips, etc. Not for working out or anything. I'm sure if I went the earbud way it would be Klipsch but I'm thinking more for comfort and really have no idea on brands, etc. for headphones. Not really something I've given a lot of thought about.

I know I've seen some smaller on ear types with a vintage look to them somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vondy,

Welcome.

Klipsch has an offer that if you order the headphones, and type in Valentine in the code box (then click apply) you get 50.00 off the price.

I just bought a pair of Custom 1's. Received them in two days and absolutely love them..............they sound fantastic, and are light weight and do not hurt your ears.

I just use the small ear buds, and they will send you Ear Gels after you order a pair (for free). Because I used the small ones, noise isn't totally cancelled out, but enough noise is stopped that I don't notice any interference with my music.

Totday is the last day to Order and receive the 50.00 discount, which to me, is an excellent bargin ! I found the Ipod ear phones, clunky and hard to seat in my ears plus they hurt !

I hate to mention the "B" word here but I was in the Apple store a few months ago and put on a set of Bose noise canceling on the ear headphones. Must say things got really quite in that store and the music sounded pretty good. I'm looking for something to muffle out the engine noise on a jet basically. I don't won't to have to turn my headphones up all the way just to hear music.

I can appreciate what you say about the Apple store. I visited the Apple store in Chicago and listened to the i-Pod with the big and little Bose.

I was predisposed to not like what I heard . . . but the effect was impressive. It made me think that much of what is good about headphones is the reduction of background noise. Active noise cancelling is more of the good.

Santa was good to me and gave me a B-D player. I've been good to Santa too. I worked an exchange for the top end Sennheiser 450's.

Just so you don't think I've been disloyal to Klipsch or the USA, most of my income comes from Germany. I missed the Valentine Day sale of the Klipsch earphones. Next time for sure. So I hope the Klipsch people are not annoyed. But they're not in the over the ear market. I hope that might change. Or Klipsch will add an in-the-ear active.

The Senns are wonderful for air travel. The Fuze cell phone output is just barely enough to drive them but the laptop is enough.

A first impress on the plane is that the noise cancelling is not quite as impressive as hoped. But, listen for while and take them off. What a horrible rush of engine noise. Also, the switch which allows talking and listening to the flight attendant or announcements is more welcome than I'd thought.

You can read reviews of noise cancelling headphones. One gripe out there is the sensation of "pressure" when you put them on. That is, IMHO, just the sound reduction. I hear the same "pressure" when in a fabric store where bolts of fabric create anechoic conditions.

In my view, noise reduction, active or passive, can prevent hearing damage when used properly.

Best,

Wm McD

• 2 weeks later...

I work out of a hangar at the local airport and use the custom 3's and while the gel inserts weren't overly impressive (maybe my ear canals are a wierd shape or something and I just never got a good seal, i don't know..) I found that with a little work, I could make my own foam inserts and those work great.. more comfortable too.. I can wear them 8 hours a day and my ears never get sore, and even when the jets are running up their engines just outside our hangar, it can barely hear them..

they're easy to make.. just take a pair of foam ear plugs (got mine from the hardware store..) and cut them in about half.. use a paperclip to make a hole through the center of the front half, then push the nozle at the base of the headphone through the hole in the ear plug.. makes a nice, comfortable seal in your ear.. and I actually get a lot more bass than I ever did with any of the gel inserts that came with them..

hope this helps