help me, settings Yamaha RX-V496, KSW-15 Sub

bhimeli@aol.com

Hi! everybody. Been on line for a whole mounth this forum is the first thing i have spent all day checking out. I need a mentor, dont know any thing about crossovers, phase switches e.t.c but i would like to get some idea about all of it. I have been building my system over the past few years when the money allows. My mains are KLF 20 had them for many years. The center is RC3-II birthday present from my girlfriend last dec. Yes i am keeping the speakers and her. Last week uncle sam let me get a KSW-15 sub. The surrounds are no concern right now they are next they will be RS3-II. This is all powered by the Yamaha RX-V496. I would like to know where all the various settings should be on the amp & the sub just to get me a base line to go by. Any reply would be greatley appreaciated.

------------------

?

Well, I don't have a Yamaha receiver, but I think it works similar to my Denon.

Initially, set all speakers to small in the speaker configuration, say sub "yes", and send all your bass to your sub. Set the crossover on the sub to its highest setting so it doesn't get in the way of the crossover in your Yamaha. Get a Radio Shack SPL meter (analog) for about $35 and an Avia Home Theater or Video Essentials setup DVD so you can calibrate the various channel levels. Trust me, your ears will fool you. These disks will also help you determine the phase setting for your sub, but essentially set it where the bass output is the strongest/cleanest. You can also calibrate your TV with these disks -- most TVs are horribly set from the factory, optimized for viewing in a showroom, and set way too bright and too much color saturation. When you first correct the settings, you'll think it looks dim and dull, but over time you'll appreciate the quality of the picture and you will notice more detail and richness in the images.

Then, you can play with setting the main speakers to large, and sending bass to sub alone or bass to sub and mains. See what yields the best overall sound and SPL levels.

Then, you can play with hooking the sub up using the sub output from the Yamaha or using the speaker output for the mains (and then running the mains off the sub's speaker connections and playing with the variable crossover in the sub versus the fixed crossover in the Yamaha), but save that for later.

Doug

P.S. - If I may be so bold to suggest, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, that you might want to swap out the RC-3 for a KLF-C7, the designed matching center for the KLF series. They are available on Ebay for a song, and you might be able to just about break even on the sale of the RC-3. My wife gives me audio components with the understanding that it is really just a pool of money, and she is fine with me swapping stuff out, selling things she gave me, etc... since it is all related to the home theater.

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 02-13-2002 at 11:01 AM

wow doug we pretty much had the same advice (see other thread under gen ?).

from what i've read here, some if not most yams have a feature of being able to send LFE to both the sub & mains (or other speakers set large?). this would be good if you dial down the cross control on the sub so then whatever lfe u cut at the sub also goes to the other speaks & no lfe is lost. if that works that way then that's a nice feature to use w/ the sub's low pass

crossover.

------------------

My Home Systems Page