still need help!!

bhimeli@aol.com

posted on home theater no reply yet thought i would try it here. Yamaha RX-V496, KLF20's, RC3II's, KSW15 sub. Thats where my prolbem begins. My room is 24' long x 15' wide. Is this sub too big? It does not have the crisp punch i like, it sounds boomey? is that a word? Anyway with my limited experience at this i was woundering about settings and hookup options. I have moved it around doesent seem to help. Thank you for any help. Modoc

------------------

?

no, the room is not too big, my KSW200 is boomy, a large and slow bass signal, but then my measurements are usually several dBs over flat, turn down the EQ all the way and turn down the volume, except on action movies, you should not hear the sub unless a really deep peice of music comes on, it should add to the tone of the music, but my neither KSW200 or my Klipsch LF10 have the greatest mid-bass punch ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 02-13-2002 at 09:44 AM

You might be better off with a Velodyne, Sunfire or Earthquake subwoofer. These tend to be faster and tighter. Also you could try hooking up a second subwoofer. Hook a "Y" adapter to your SUB pre out and run cables to the 2 subs. I think you find an improvement on your bass response.

Finally, make sure your Yamaha's crossover is set to 80hz (THX), all speakers are set to small and that your system is properly SPL'ed. All speakers at 75dB spl...subwoofer at 79dB spl.

Good luck

Eric.

------------------

Certifed Legend Maniac :

6 KLF-20 as mains, surrounds, rears!

1 KLF-C7 center!

All powered by Denon AVR-5700 (soon to be updated to Aragon Stage 1 !)

i think all the yammy have a fixed 90hz high (for speakers set small) & low (for sub:yes) crossover.

thought someone said yammy have an option of sending LFE (i guess in addition to low bass) to both the mains (or other speaks) & the sub even when sub:yes. this could take care of the large tower(set:large)/sub low bass overlap problems, as you could then switch in the sub's crossover at a lower point to better blend w/ the big tower speaks, & at the same time send lfe to both the sub & other speaks w/o the worry of losing lfe by way of the sub's low pass crossover/cut-off filter.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-13-2002 at 03:46 PM