Multimedia Speakers in Whole House Audio Application

Nemoi

I am trying to design and set up a whole house audio system which will have MP3's from my computer as one option for play back. I got thinking that why not use high quality PC speakers because they already have the built in amplifier? Can anyone tell me why this may be a good or a bad idea? I also thought about substituting the volume control for an in wall IR volume control. If it matters to anyone, I plan to control my audio by the JDS Stargate controller. Thanks for all opinions.

Wow, Nemoi, that's a novel idea. The Klipsch Promedias are certainly good enough to do this. In fact, the Klipsch people reported that some people are buying the Promedias for small rooms as regular music setups. Multiple rooms may pose some unique wiring problems, but if you could do it they should sound pretty good. This might even be cheaper than one amp and inwall speakers. By the time you invested in inwall volume controls, the amp, the inwall speakers and a multi-speaker switch, a separate Promedia setup for each room might very well be the cheaper option.

The Stargate is a great controller, but I'm not sure how you would get it to control the Promedia's volumes. I think that to get remote control of room volumes with the Stargate or a similar controller, you'd have to go with one of the dedicated whole-house preamps and a multi-channel amp (one channel for each room). If you have any better ideas on this, please let us know - I'm using regular knob-style volume controls in each room and I'd love an affordable way to control the house music with a home automation controller.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Ross

Ross

• 2 weeks later...