What HAS to be better than vinyl?

Mallette

Analog tape, of course. Today I rec'd a copy of E. Power Biggs Greatest Hits on reel to reel. About 11.00 with shipping. Since 95% of all the vinyl ever released started life as tape, how can it be better?

It can't. I have this on vinyl, and it is really nice. On tape, it screams, growls, roars, whispers, kisses, and does so (thanks to a bit of DBX after the fact) noiselessly after 30 years or so. What a treat!

Granted, I've been fully aware of the Tape Project and the CD transfer Canyonman sent me was truly extraordinary, but I suppose I just considered that way out of my price point...which it is. While this is not in a class with that, it's certainly equal to the finest vinyl and GUARANTEED to be free of snap, crackle, and pop.

So I'm off on the prowl. Given I've been purchasing cheap vinyl, LaserDIscs, and such for the great quality and low cost from obsolete media, I don't know why it took me so long to re-discover a medium from which I made a living for years. Tons of the stuff going on Ebay for half what it sold for originally. Travis sent me an awesome theatre organ tape a while back, but since I didn't hunt it down it really didn't put me over the edge. A chance run in with this reel on Ebay did. Fer cryin' out loud, you can get a decent tape deck for a hundred bucks, and a killer one for 500.00. I'll just record them to DSF (SACD quality, if you don't know what that is) with just the right DBX, and, presto, perfect sound forever!

Where have I been?

Headin' over to Ebay now...

Dave