rear speaker hissing

thingy?

Hey there everyone.

I just got my promedia 4.1s, and I'm quite happy with them, but there is one small thing I've noticed. There is a very slight hissing sound coming from the rear satellites.

It's very quiet, and I can only hear it from ~1 foot away when there is no other noise, but it happens even if the audio inputs aren't plugged into the sound card. Anyone know what the cause might be?

I'm not particularly inclined to return them, because I'd have to send them all the way back across Australia, and it doesn't seem like a major problem.

Anyway, thanks.

any amplified speaker system is prone to this, and most have it. this is normal. but if you turn down the control pod volume, turn up the wave and playback volume on the computer, and mute the other channels on the sound card, you can almost eliminate this hiss. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

hey justin,

sorry, should have added this earlier - the rear speakers hiss even with the control pod volume at zero, and the front speakers do not. also, the hiss is not present when the speakers are off on the control pod. i'm guessing it might be the pre-amp, but i haven't noticed any discrepancy in sound quality, so i can't be sure.

This message has been edited by thingy? on 02-13-2002 at 11:17 PM

sounds like a control pod problem. how long have you had the 4.1's?

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

i got the 4.1s about 1 week ago by mail.

it seems really odd, but i've noticed that, when i put my hand near the control pod, it makes a slight buzzing sound in the rear speakers. if i put my hand right near the underside of the control pod, the buzzing becomes loud enough to hear from a couple of feet away. maybe this is caused by some kind of interference? i would have thought there would be hissing in all of the satellites if this were the case though...

strange

ok, now it is getter REAL weird haha.

try moving that sat to another place (the control pod sat) try using them in another room to test for some EMI or other static interference...

do you have a transistor radio in your skull? Biggrin.gif

------------------

-justin

ok, so i moved the whole system to the other end of the house - but still got the hissing in the rear speakers.

also, i've been assured the electronics in my head aren't strong enough to cause any interference (though i have noticed that my monitor picture goes wobbly when i put my face too near the screen).

I might have to contact Klipsch and see what they think, and what i can do about a replacement. any idea how long amy takes to respond via email?

• Moderators

The gain in the rear speakers is higher, which would be why you can't hear the hiss from the front speakers as well. If you can only hear it from about 1ft away, then this is normal "white noise" and nothing to be concerned about.

I usually can respond to email within 24 hours, but I've been training 2 new people this week (yea!) and it's put me a little behind. I'm going to do my best to be caught up before the weekend.

Some people have complained that their emails to me have been undeliverable....If this is the case with anyone, try amy.platt@klipsch.com or promediatech@klipsch.com

Thanks!

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

uhhh... i'm back.

i've been fiddling with the controls on my speakers, and i've noticed that the buzzing sound in the rears is there all the time - it just gets louder when i put my hand near it.

also, the buzzing isn't present when the surround volume is turned all the way to maximum. this seems like a problem with the control pod to me. anyone else experienced this, or just know what it is?

Thingy, i had experienced the same annoying hiss from my 4.1's. At first it seemd it was coming from the left front speaker (if i could recall correctly). But i definately rememember the hiss spreading to the left rear speaker. Very very very annoying, especially since the 4.1's were in my room and the only way i could get to sleep was to unplug them everytime.

------------------

Education is an admirable thing. But it is well

to remember from time to time that nothing that

is worth knowing can be taught.

OW

quote:

Originally posted by ProMedia Tech 2:

I usually can respond to email within 24 hours, but I've been training 2 new people this week (yea!)

HAHA the problems with the PM line are so frequent that they needed to hire two more customer service people! Sheesh ...makes me wonder if the failure rate is only 1 in 100,000 like amy always says!?cwm28.gif