Home theater rear speakers on the ceiling?

anhad

I am trying to design a home theater for a new home and somebody suggested that the rear speakers (2 for 5.1, or 3 for 6.1) could be placed in the ceiling (height 3meters), approx. 1 meter behind the couch, and 5 meters away from the TV/front speakers. The TV and front speakers would be located at eye lever.

This suits the layout of the room, and I am considering it.

I have never seen anything to suggest that this is a good idea. Has anybody tried it?

What in-ceiling speakers and front speakers would you suggest in such a case?

Thank you

I have my surround speakers mounted to the wall at the ceiling. I built some wooden boxes to angle the speakers down so they are aimed at the listeneing position. I have plans to mount the rear speaker to the ceiling also, but that hasn't happened yet.

I have windows down one side wall and no wall behind the listening position.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Jim

1979 La Scala's

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Thank you for the replies.

I have a window on one side, and the a far wall behind the sitting position, so I have to go for the ceiling.

The best option (under the circumstances) would be to have the speakers inclined towards the sitting position. There are however aesthetics objections (guess by whom), as this would mean having the speakers protrude from the ceiling, in the middle of a large room. Any pretty speakers for such a position?

How about the alternative of bipolar (omnipolar?) speakers going flat in the false ceiling (pointing vertically downwards)? Would they do the trick?

Does anybody know of such speakers?

Thanks

Anhad

Anhad, I have used speakers mounted in the ceiling (only the grille shows) to very good effect in the days before 5.1 HT.

5.1 or above ideally calls for five (or more) identical speakers from each key location (left front, center front, right front, right side, left side, for 6.1 add a center rear). Thus, anything less than a main is a compromise... which is part of the price of companionship when big old speakers are at issue.

In similar situations caused by architecture or significant others, I have even resorted to Klipsch built-in speakers with tweeters that can be aimed. For your situation, that would mean installing side-surrounds about 600 cms from the back wall and close to each sidewall. For 6.1, you will also want one in the center and close to the back wall. If you want to be 7.1 ready, you would need two speakers near the back wall with each of them about a third of the distance in from the side walls.

Remember, the key speaker in 5.1 (and above) is a full-range front center since that is where upwards of 75% of movie sound is directed. If you have to make a sacrifice in timbre, make it on the side-surrounds and rear centers... get three mains up front where the action is if you can.

I hope this helps... a listing of Klipsch In Wall speakers can be found under PRODUCTS... here they are also available at "Good Guys" stores. cwm15.gif HornEd

------------------

"LEADING 8 LEGENDS INTO THE 6.1 GENERATION!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in search of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

You might be interested in this KEF speaker which mounts in the ceiling and lowers via a motor into position. Can't easily describe it so check their web site at this link to the page: http://www.kef.com/products/ciseries/ci200qt.html

I have no idea how much but you might find this interesting at the very least. Maybe you could create a version using a hinge and then use Klipsch rears.