Heritage Front and Center - Khorns & LaScala with IB Subwoofer

hulkss

Do you care to give me the crib notes easy to understand version on the purpose and reading of the graph?

This graph of music power spectral density shows a measure of what frequencies are present in the music signal and at what magnitude. As can be seen, the lower bass frequencies have the greatest magnitude.

Now consider a THX Ultra2 certified surround speaker crossed over at 80 Hz as required by THX for "small" speakers (Ultra2 means the speaker is certified to play reference level in large home theater rooms where you are more than 12 feet from the speaker). The magnitude at 80 Hz is well below the deeper bass frequencies so much less power will be required. This allows a small speaker to keep up with a big one - as long as it does not have to play any bass below 80 Hz.

Small surround speakers sound just fine to me. The deep bass gets redirected to the subwoofer by the bass management software in the surround processor.

So is there a 4xsub under the LS and ANOTHER cabinet under the floor?

yegads man, where have you been all this time?

I like the idea of the plugs for your windows. I have a less esoteric arrangement in my hearth room- the window to the back of the house, which does not let in much light, is covered with 2" builders foam very tightly, then panels with 4" wedges of soft foam are up against that, the whole thing covered by heavy curtains. Makes a great huge bass trap and keeps the sound in the room where it belongs.

I'd like to see a detailed photo of your window arrangement if it's not too much trouble.

Michael

So is there a 4xsub under the LS and ANOTHER cabinet under the floor?

It's just the one unit known as a "manifold" to infinitely baffled sub builders. When installed (see previous photos) the back side of the 4x15 speaker cones plays up into the living space and the front side plays into the crawl space as if it were a giant sealed box speaker alignment.

The beauty of the opposing drivers is that there is no resultant vibration forces from the movement of the speaker cones.

I've never dared to go down into the crawl space with the sub operating.

Posted Image

I'd like to see a detailed photo of your window arrangement if it's not too much trouble.

OK, here's a photo where you can see the windows I added interior "soundproof " laminated glass to.

Posted Image

Here's one where I took down the curtain to show the window plug. The plug is 2 layers of 1/2" MDF with GreenGlue damping material in between. I used latex foam in a can to seal them in place. The plug panels are really heavy as you can imagine and they are sitting on 1/4" thick felt strips. Very little sound makes it through this wall and the room acoustics sound great. The black paint is just to make the curtain edge gap invisible.

Posted Image

And, I don't know if I have seen too many black khorns. Did you paint them or did they come that way?

Paul

Black Ash is a standard Klipsch finish these days. Per Klipsch technical support: "They are painted with a 40 sheen Black Lacquer and then it has a 40 sheen clear Lacquer top coat. This material comes from Valspar". The speakers are current models at this time.

What type of seats do you use?

Here's a photo of the seats I selected. They are a very important part of a home theater. These are the most comfortable seats I could find. They are the Fjords model 710 Admiral made in Norway by Hjellegjerde.

It was not easy to find seats for a tall person that provide head support and recline while maintaining a proper viewing angle. These seats are available in two sizes so you can get a really comfortable fit. The foot rest is separate so it can always be positioned to fit your size.

Posted Image

I have some cushioned stools with backs to bring out if I need a second row of seats. You can also see the positioning of the Klipsch THX Ultra2 ceiling speakers.

Here's how I mounted the projector screen. I can pull it out in front of the center LaScala or push it back up against the wall if I'm just listening to music (see picture in first post of this thread). The screen is not too obvious in the room when when it is not in use.

This is the mount: Mount Arm I removed the flatscreen mounting hardware and bolted on the screen mounting track.

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

I was searching the web last night and ran across your post and wanted to say, I miss the days when I worked in a Home Theater Store and we had a Pair of Klipsch KHorns that Sold for about $15K. Normally a pair wouldn't sell for anywhere near that amount, but these Khorns were made of special wood.

I forget what it was now but I'm pretty sure the wood used isn't around anymore or very rare.

Well the real reason I'm writing is your commit about your curtains.

I found a website that has Theater Curtains for sale either premade to your size or you can buy a roll of the material. Here's the link.

http://www.sewwhatinc.com/special_offer.php

post-45583-1381961568726_thumb.jpg

post-45583-13819619919584_thumb.jpg