Crossover settings Questions

uniquetreatone

I'm trying to learn about crossover settings.I search around different forums and this seems like the perfect place to ask.I recently added f3 for fronts,c2 at center and used my quintet III for surrounds.I was going to get a rf-83 home theater package but I decided to wait until I build my man cave next year.Anyway I first ran the audessy audio set-up on my onkyo 806 and it set the f3s at full band,c2 at 50,the quintet III surrounds at 120 and my sub-10 at 80.I know the f3s should not be set at full band,so should I set them to 60 or 80?I tried reading the specs on them but I don't know what 35Hz-23kHz means.I know I read in many places to set the crossover +10 above specs but which number,the 35Hz or 23kHz?Sorry for the newbie question.

Welcome to the forum,

Well first off I guess you an set the F-3 to full, that just means that they will receive the full spectrum from highs to the lows. It all depends on how it sounds to you.

Some say to start off setting all your speakers to small and 80. Then you can change the setting from that stand point to your likings. Some have the same speakers but at different setting since that is what sounds good to them.

Good luck and report back how you like the setup set.

James

I'm trying to learn about crossover settings.I search around different forums and this seems like the perfect place to ask.I recently added f3 for fronts,c2 at center and used my quintet III for surrounds.I was going to get a rf-83 home theater package but I decided to wait until I build my man cave next year.Anyway I first ran the audessy audio set-up on my onkyo 806 and it set the f3s at full band,c2 at 50,the quintet III surrounds at 120 and my sub-10 at 80.I know the f3s should not be set at full band,so should I set them to 60 or 80?I tried reading the specs on them but I don't know what 35Hz-23kHz means.I know I read in many places to set the crossover +10 above specs but which number,the 35Hz or 23kHz?Sorry for the newbie question.

The manufacturers make this hella complicated and it does not need to be........

Run your F3's full range, they are designed for that !! Don't think another thing about it.

35-23Khz is their rated 3db down points,

IE: 35 HZ is very respectable low bass output for a speaker like that, thats the lowest frequecy it is rated to put out at -3db (half as a simplification) of its average acoustic output, you can drive it lower without damage. The volume just wont be as loud below 35 HZ.

then the 23KHZ part of that its its upper frequency, its means 23,000 hz. Most people cannot hear anything at that frequency. The accepted (generally) upper range of human hearing is supposed to be 20 khz, so suffice it to say, your speakers range greatly exceeds your range of hearing in the upper frequencies. A dog may have trouble hearing 23KHZ.........

then.............

50-80HZ is probably what you want the C2 at if you are going to play it loud (like me). If you behave, (no way) you can lower it and it will sound a teeny bit better (usually), but dont forget to raise it back up if you want to "rock the house", little woofers dont like to be driven out of the magnetic gap they are supposed to stay inside (overdriven, excusion-wise)

I am not familiar with the Quintet 3's, and as such I am at a loss there, except to say that the surrounds do not usually carry a lot of the bass information. In my experience you can drive almost anything (besides those bose cube things) at 120 HZ pretty safely.

I also think your Sub 10 will run out of steam well before your F3's will. If you are really, rocking the house you might want to turn the gain on the sub down a little bit so you dont over drive it. Those F3's are one of the very best "bangs for the buck". Its surprising how good they are;)

Thanks very much Mike.That was a very good explanation of what I was looking for.I'm going to have to save this for myself and my friends.You should write one of those books like"Crossover For Dummies". LOL. And yes I definitely like to Rock The House.Also I've seen some B3 and S1 surround speakers at good prices at CC.Would any of these be a significant upgrade from the quintet 3?

Thanks very much Mike.That was a very good explanation of what I was looking for.I'm going to have to save this for myself and my friends.You should write one of those books like"Crossover For Dummies". LOL. And yes I definitely like to Rock The House.Also I've seen some B3 and S1 surround speakers at good prices at CC.Would any of these be a significant upgrade from the quintet 3?

Its my pleasure to help you on the HT crossover settings. I will have to defer your questions on the surrounds to someone else as I am unfamiliar with the models you mentioned. You might get better results by just asking that question as a new post.

Did you listen to your sytem with the new settings? The 3's you got up front will def sound better without taking the bass away from them :)