Help with Denon 6.1 Please

iTide

I am still working on our home theatre in the basement. I am looking to get a used receiver. I would like to get a Denon just to try one out. I am looking at an AVR 2802. Does anyone have any experience with these? Should I look at another model? The only problem I hear is that setup is a beast. Also, it is 6.1. I will only be using 5.1. Is this an issue or do I just turn off the back surround in setup. Thanks

I have an AVR-1804 which I believe is 6.1. I run 5.1 with no problem.

You can probably download the manual for the model you are looking at from the Denon website.

My unit has a provision to run dual speakers for the 6th channel instead of a remote second zone consisting of one channel instead of two. I've never tried that but you may want to look at the manual for your intended purchase.

Bigger question, though, is why you would not buy something that is 7.1 capable. Is the 2802 HDMI capable? If you see any upgrade path to a high def video expeience and/or BluRay in your future, you might want to consider more than the 5.1 or 6.1 route.

Otherwise, I suspect the manual will advise how you can run the 2802 for five channels versus six. Check the Denon web site.

Okay, I believe I will hold off and look for a receiver with HDMI. However that brings up other questions. Are the different versions of HDMI compatible? I am just glancing at the Denon 2807, because I really need to stay in the used market. Will its HDMI be compatible with a new TV? Also, I am reading a lot about not running sound through HDMI, what is this all about? Thanks guys.

Hi iTide, I just joined this Forum, but I'm glad that I'm able to already offer my experience to someone.

I'm a proud owner of a Denon AVR-2808CI that I picked up at BB. It wasn't an easy purchase, It took me over a week asking many different salesmen, from many different BB stores whether I should keep the VSX-03 TXH Pioneer Elite or the Denon 2808CI. I had bought the Pioneer first since it was an 'open-box' model and great deal that I didn't want to let get away, but I was looking for an 'open-box' Denon which I found at a different BB the next day. I finally settled on the Denon after a week passed by while I read all I could. Like you, I also had heard that the Denon's were difficult and complicated to setup, had terrible owners manuals, poor on-screen menues and the AVR 2808CI was really were not a good choice for a first-timer in the hobby, but it is a quality receiver.

I'm surprised how it all came out because two weeks ago I knew NOTHING about A/V, HiFi & HT. I spent many days and countless hours reading here and elsewhere before I started to setup my system. Almost two weeks later I felt I had learned enough to get started. So I got my A/V out and placed my speakers but then quit there because I was dreading the wiring (if you can believe it). The next day I wired my RF-62's and a center to the Denon (later thinking that wasn't so hard). Then I reread and followed my owners manual to setup my system. At this point I was afraid to even turn the Denon on for fear of blowing something up (no joke!) So I pushed the on button and Auto Setup started right away. It walked me thru all the settings and after it was over it displayed the info on the monitor. Next I was listening to beautiful, clean & clear music coming from my RF-62's. Really, it was effortless. Even now I still haven't finished reading the whole manual as today I was mounting and wiring my VS-14 surrounds so I can demo them before my 30 day return window is up. There are sooo many settings, adjustments and things you can do with this Denon and over time I hope to learn more, but the Auto Setup program got me setup and I've been enjoying my system since.

Long story short, just because someone had a bad experience don't get turned off by that alone. Everyone is different and some roll thru it while other's don't. Just go with your gut instinct. If it feels right then get it, if not...

Cheers