best way to clean up my computer?

iwillwalk

there are programs you can get to do this, but if you have Win98 and up go to start - programs - access - system tool - disk clean up, that will do much of what you want.

in internet explorer, to to tools, then internet options, then click delete cookies and delete files (disk clean up does this anyways though)

get Adaware. it is free and found over 127 adware/spyware on my computer. it uninstalled them all and now it starts up much faster.

reformat your computer to get it back to like new speed. also, adding ram gives a BIG boost in speed Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

I try to reformat my computer every three to six months. Its a ***** for me because I have 2.5 GB of data I NEED to back up everytime, pictures, MP3's, and other stuff I can't simply reinstall.

i was in the same situation but had about 30gb of info i could not lose. so i got a new 60gb hard drive just to back up on and use as the extra hard drive for storage Smile.gif works great!

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

If you have Win98, run msconfig and shut off some programs running in the back ground. Its a bunch of programs that is running at the same time that slows your computer down, not what is on your hard drive. One other thing you can do is the Ctr-Alt-Delete ond turn every thing off, except( Important!)-systray and explore and you'll see a big improvementcwm7.gif

This message has been edited by clandeggen on 02-14-2002 at 10:09 PM

quote:

Originally posted by clandeggen:

If you have Win98, run msconfig and shut off some programs running in the back ground. Its a bunch of programs that is running at the same time that slows your computer down, not what is on your hard drive. One other thing you can do is the Ctr-Alt-Delete ond turn every thing off, except( Important!)-systray and explore and you'll see a big improvement
cwm7.gif

but if you are using virtual memory and your harddrive is pretty full, like <300mb free, you will see a slow down, in most systems at least Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

• 4 weeks later...

If you are running WinXP, go into the control panel, then internet options, then click on the Advanced tab on the top right of this screen. Look down a bit and in the security settings section, select the option to "Empty Temporary Internet Files when Browser is Closed". This way it automatically does it for you. In windows 98, when you have Internet Explorer running, just click on the tools menu at the top of the screen, then in the submenu click on "Internet Options". look in the middle of this screen and you will see the Temporary internet files section and all you do is click on " Delete Files". It will auto prompt and ask if you want to also delete cookies. Hope this helps.cwm11.gif