Any one have a Pioneer 51FD BDP

RockOn4Klipsch

I was curious if anyone here has or has used a Pioneer 51FD, I'm looking for something that has analog outs, BD Live is not important. I'd like to ehar from some of you that have one.

I sold my PS3 and currently have a Sony S550, I'm not dissappointed with the S550 just wondering if the Pioneer would be better. I'm sure BD playback is simliar so I'm wondering about SD DVD upconversion and audio playback, ( i know the Pioneer does not sport internal Decoding of DTS MA but hear it's comming soon).

What do you gentleman/gentlewoman think>?

Stick with the S550 or get the Pionner? or maybe the Samsung? I've not had great luck with the Sammies in the past.

http://bountii.com/product-816-pioneer-bdp-51fd-blu-ray.html?gclid=CIG63OLXj5kCFQZlswod4j2Lag

If you get it at this price, (266) then why not get it? Just make sure it supports the same sound modes as your Sony does. I don't know about this particular player, but I've heard about a lot of Pioneer units not supporting DST HD................... Just what I"VE heard though.....

Sorry, I do not have the Pioneer BPD-51FD; instead I have the Elite version: BDP-05FD in my theater. I have a Sony BDP-S300 in my living room. I do not yet trust Samsung Blu-Ray players based on friends' troubles with theirs and many reviews. Samsung's latest one has gotten a lot of good press, but I've become a "wait-and-see" person. Their other products are fine.

By the way, Pioneer is vacating both the plasma display (by March 2010) and the Laser player (after 3,000-more are made) businesses See notices. So you might want to stick with your Sony or look elsewhere. -Glenn

Not a BD player, but man oh man, this thing is a beast!!! Sorry if I'm a little late on this one.......

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/ci.SC-09TX.Kuro

I would never buy a 7000 reciever....I would invest in seperates....just 2 cents

BerserkNitro: If you look closely at that receiver you will see that it is separates....sort of. Here's the back view showing the "separation": (I think I'd prefer separates at that price, too)

post-10177-1381945461035_thumb.jpg

I have had my 51 for some time in fact I purchased it in Japan before the USA release and other than the constant upgrade disks that I have to make; it is a great BD player. I especially like the 7.1 audio out which is why I purchased the pioneer. It is linked to my Elite 50” plasma and outside of possibly the Marantz or the Pioneer 5, I can think of no better players but at the 51’s price point, you will not be disappointed.

Not a BD player, but man oh man, this thing is a beast!!! Sorry if I'm a little late on this one.......

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/ci.SC-09TX.Kuro

I would never buy a 7000 reciever....I would invest in seperates....just 2 cents

BerserkNitro: If you look closely at that receiver you will see that it is separates....sort of. Here's the back view showing the "separation": (I think I'd prefer separates at that price, too)

I would go separates also, I was just blown away at the size, power of this thing...........

I would go separates also, I was just blown away at the size, power of this thing...........

Sorry, I do not have the Pioneer BPD-51FD; instead I have the Elite version: BDP-05FD in my theater. I have a Sony BDP-S300 in my living room. I do not yet trust Samsung Blu-Ray players based on friends' troubles with theirs and many reviews. Samsung's latest one has gotten a lot of good press, but I've become a "wait-and-see" person. Their other products are fine.

By the way, Pioneer is vacating both the plasma display (by March 2010) and the Laser player (after 3,000-more are made) businesses See notices. So you might want to stick with your Sony or look elsewhere. -Glenn

the 51fd is the same internally as the 05fd with the exception of the video DACs. How do you like your 05?

Initial impression of the Pioneer 51FD, sound quality for CD, DVD and BD playback are stellar definitely above the Sony S550, and the PS3. Video upconversion is equal to that of the S550 ( i haven't tried too many SD DVDs on the 51FD). I do like the picture better on the Pionner for BD compared to the S550 and the PS3, the video tweaks in the pioneer are plenty. Hopefully Pionner will release a firmware update with DTS MA decoding soon, suppose to be on its way with adjustable x'overs for multi channel output and DTS MA decodin, we'll see soon enough.

the 51fd is the same internally as the 05fd with the exception of the video DACs. How do you like your 05?

Initial impression of the Pioneer 51FD, sound quality for CD, DVD and BD playback are stellar definitely above the Sony S550, and the PS3. Video upconversion is equal to that of the S550 ( i haven't tried too many SD DVDs on the 51FD). I do like the picture better on the Pionner for BD compared to the S550 and the PS3, the video tweaks in the pioneer are plenty. Hopefully Pionner will release a firmware update with DTS MA decoding soon, suppose to be on its way with adjustable x'overs for multi channel output and DTS MA decodin, we'll see soon enough.

I've had the 05 since just before Xmas. Compared to the Sony S300 it seems to provide better video performance relative to DVD up-conversion. I cannot attest to the audio comparison because the S300 is hooked up to our old Dolby Pro-Logic system and some small, wall-mounted B&Ws with a Polk sub whith the 05 resides in our theater with a Pioneer Flagship receiver and Klipsch Reference system connected: Apples-to-oranges.

That little Sony does a nice job video-wise in 1080p with Blu-Rays (via HDMI) on our Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma upstairs. I just upgraded the firmware in the Sony to v4.50 so it now has support for Dolby True HD, which it did not before. Not bad for a free upgrade considering paid only $299 for the machine new and got 5 free Blu-Ray disks with it a year ago!

The 05 is an amazing machine to use with its touch sensing buttons and its extra memory allows you to load the special features disc, remove it and then put the movie disk in and it can still play content from both. The video never pixelates, even in extremely fast-moving or changing scenes. Although it is connected via component video to our 720p/1080i Sharp high-end projector, Blu-Ray performance still amazes with this machine.

We also have the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai DVD player (another wonderful product) in our theater rack and I think the 05 may best it in SD DVD video performance. Definitely better in Blu-Ray as compared to the 47 in SD. They are close, so its very hard to tell. We kept the 47 around to play our SACDs and DVD-As as the Blu-Ray does not. The 05 & 47 are head-to-head in audio because we cannot decode the True HD because our older Pioneer Elite receiver has no TrueHD compliance. I'd like to see an outboard decoder put on the marlet if there isn't already. Anybody know of one? -Glenn

The Pioneer BDP-51FD only has two weaknesses. The first is it will not decode DTS HD MA until a firmware upgrade is installed which is expected next month. The 51FD will only use the 1.5 Mbps DTS core for DTS MA movies. The second limitation cannot be fixed. The machine is slow to boot and load disks. However, the 51FD is a bargain at current prices and has excellent video processing and upconversion.

I love my 51FD and prefer it to my Panny 55K Blu-ray. The only feature my Panny has that I like better than the 51FD is 24P output on SD DVDs. My Kuro display does 24P conversion, but the Panny is a bit better with SD DVD.

Bill