Sub Settings

Maximo

Hi all,

This weekend I am going to purchase a pair of RF-3s , RC-3, and RS-3s. At the moment I dont have the cash for a new sub so I have to use my older venturi powered 10. This sub has a crossover setting on the back of it that ranges from 50-150Hz. I am just wondering where to set it. I would guess setting it lower would give me the best result, but I am not real sure. Wondering if anyone here knows about this type of setting and what would be the best place to set it at.

Thx

Mike

welcome max, if u're using an a/v receiver, you'll probably find it best for all sources to use the sub preout w/ a line interconnect (shielded 75 ohm video cable w/ rca plugs) to the sub line inputs (may want to use a y-adapter to both R&L); then setting the sub crossover all the way to 150hz; all speaks set small & sub:yes. of course u can then always experiment w/ the settings. which reciever/amp u usin?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Right now I have a Sony DE945. It has 2 sub outs and thats how I have it hooked up atm. The sub also has some banana plug inputs for line level inputs.

So set the crossover on the back of the sub for 150Hz huh, it also has a volume knob on the sub which I have just been keeping at 12 o'clock.

Thanks for the input, I will change the crossover setting and turn it all the way up and see how it goes. Oh another funny thing about the sub, it has outs that are L and R, atm I am just using a Y rca plug to cover em both because I am not sure what the difference is.

Thx

Mike

max, i still have my sony de935. banana plugs/jacks & rca are 2 dif things. if it's like most, your sub should have rca jacks.

the sony already filters the sub preout so you should be able to turn the sub's cross all the way up to 150.

the sony has a fixed crossover at 80hz for bothe the sub preout & any speakers set small. problem w/ that setting large speaks to large is you a lot o times get

bad overlap w/ the sub & speakers set large. you can try large w/ the rf-3 & hear the dif switching to small. hard to say for sure what results you get.

w/ this set-up (which I think is overall best), you don't want to dial down the sub's crossover because all your LFE is going there & LFE can go 120hz or higher.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Alright thanks for the help. atm I have the speakers set to small, because I just have smaller fronts atm (bookshelf type) . I will prolly leave it like that at first and change it to large later to hear the dif.

As far as the sub goes I am gonna turn it up to 150 today since the 945 has a set filter as you said. The sub has both banana plugs and rca ins. But I have been using the rca's. Like I said earlier it has a L and R rca in which is kinda strange, and I have a feeling they are just connected internally and prolly just for looks.

Heh, one other thing the sub has I forgot to mention is a polarity switch, can either be set to 0 or 180 degrees. I just have it set to 0 which is default i think.

Thanks for all the help

Mike

This message has been edited by Maximo on 02-15-2002 at 06:46 PM

yea the rca type in jacks are right - the sony also has

an rca type sub out jack.

phase is totally dependent on your circumstances. ideally play some big bass music & have a helper switch it back & forth while you listen at your sweet spot. listen & hear if it makes a positive dif to you in bass

impact. if not just leave at 0.

------------------

My Home Systems Page