How do you set up a home network with a win98 pc and a xp pro. pc?

Gh7

well i just made me a pc and installed xp on it, for some damn reason i have been at it all night and still cant fingure what the hell is is wrong with this crap. i cant get my pcs to communicate, what things need to be exact so they could reconize each other.

• Like 1

i don't think you can network XP and anything else below it, maybe with XP pro, but that is what i was told.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

i don't think you can network XP and anything else below it, maybe with XP pro, but that is what i was told.

That's not completely true, Justin. I have a ME PC and a XP PC. What I've done to make it work is set-up home networking in the XP-PC like normal.

Then I popped in the WINXP PRO cd in my Millenium Edition PC and chose to set-up HOME NETWORKING from the menu that popped up. After a restart I could access the internet at the ME PC via the XP PC and also communicate with eachother from the NETWORK NEIGHBOURHOOD.

------------------

-------------------------

If the DUDE doesn't like it, it's not worth buying!

well that is reasuring Smile.gif we have lots-o computers at my house that we have been wanting to network again, but half are XP and half are 98-ME...

cool Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

quote:

half are XP and half are 98-ME...

Man, you oughtta get WINXP CORPORATE EDITION. I got it and I made all of his pc's at the internet cafe WINXP. You don't have to worry about the crappy activation sh!t!!! It's all corporate man!

------------------

i do have that... WinXP Pro Plus

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@Klipsch.com">email Amy</A> or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 03-03-2002 at 02:25 PM

quote:

i do have that... WinXP Pro Plus

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional PLUS!

or

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional Corporate Editon?

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by DUDE:

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional PLUS!

or

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional Corporate Editon?

i did not have to activate... so i guess Corp.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

quote:

Originally posted by DUDE:

Well, if that's so, why not upgrade all of the WIN98 systems?

cause they have far too many peices of hardware and software incompatible with the winxp pro (legal BTW, got it from my dad's company who is authorized to install it on their employees home computers... called a homelink program) though at one time i did test eh hmmm win xp pro. it is just not worth all the mess to upgrade all the computers, specially since they will be gone in a year, time to fully upgrade Smile.gif (~every two years we get new computers here at home)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

• 2 years later...

re: networking windows xp and windows 98

I an an audio lover that finds jobs for tranducer engineers as a career. MY AUDIO KNOWLEDGE FAR EXCEEDS MY COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE> I have one computer with windows xp professional and had another with windows 98. I have cable internet access. I networked the two using a dlink ethernet broadband router. One cable from one computer in one slot in the router, the other cable from the other computer in another slot of the router. Both computers were turned off at the time. When I turned on both computers, the one which had wondows xp recognized new hardware and installed it. I then went to the network wizard and choose the window xp computer as the primary computer to go online with. It went through various steps and had me insert a floppy which it loaded settings on. It then instructed me to insert the floppy into the other computer and I loaded it there. At some point it told me it was done and would I like to restart both computers so the installation would be complete. I said yes and the xp one restarted and viola ! the network was up and operating. Later on I added file sharing and printer sharing. Its probably a good idea to make the sharing password protected since there are HUGE security holes for trojans when you share files and printers. Anyway I'm just semi literate and it worked for me. Later on the Windows 98 computer fried itself to death when a heating fan failed and I bought an athlon preloaded with xp. I did the same procedure and networked them both quickly.

My guess is I was just lucky because not being a computer pro, I have to be methodical and read carefully the instructions for each step or maybe Ijust was lucky enough to buy the correct router or something.

Hope this helps.