copy protrected CD's

jdm56

I haven't seen this discussed (or cussed) here, although it is a recurring topic in the audio news. So, I was curious as to the thoughts of posters here, on this sorry attempt by the greedy, sleazeball weasels in the recording industry to muck up perfectly good recordings with various copy protection schemes, in an attempt to limit or prohibit playing digital music recordings on a PC, or recording them.

...as for me, I'm agin' it. .cwm22.gif

Fact is, the first "pee'd on" release in the U.S. by a major label has just occurred. The title is "More Fast And Furious", on Island Records, a UMG imprint.

I say let'em eat their hobbled discs. I'll never knowingly buy one. If I accidentally get one, it's going back. S***w the majors! There is enough great music released by small, audiophile labels that care about sound and their customers to sustain me. (I hope.)

------------------

JDMcCall

I don't blame ya James. You could have heated my house for a week with how hot I was when I found out that I couldn't play home made compiled CD-Rs on my newly arrivde McIntosh MVP-841. That was the whole reason I ordered a CD-RW drive the PC! And to think the lowly Carver TL-3100 cd player (14 years old) plays them just fine, the Mac just sounds a hell of a lot better.

Since then I've had a resurgence of reviving the Yamaha K-1020 cassette deck and updating the ol' Yamaha PF-800 TT with a new Shure V-15 VxMR and a maybe a seperate phono stage (if I can find a place to put it).

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

The record industries boil my blood. As I type, the Morphues icon is at the bottom of my desktop. I use it to PREVIEW music before I shell out the ridiculous $15+ to listen to a CD. At least my favorite record company, Warp Records, isn't in slime mode yet. I hope for the worst times for the Big Five record companies, who ever they are (sony, and 4 others)

tblasting, NO F'ING WAY!!! The Mac didn't play those CD's? Thats sucks BAD, eventhough I like the company, shame on them Smash.gif. I think they should even play back MP3 CD's, not for sound quality, but for convience.

Damn the record companiesSmash.gif to hell, what did they ever to for the consumers besides releasing 40 minuite CD's for $18.99 at Sam Goody!? At least the Autechre CD's I buy are 65 minuites minimum and go up to 144 minuites for $14-$16, there actually try to make the consumer happy. Bless them.

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

tblasting, NO F'ING WAY!!! The Mac didn't play those CD's? Thats sucks BAD, eventhough I like the company, shame on them
Smash.gif
. I think they should even play back MP3 CD's, not for sound quality, but for convience.

When I talked to Frank Gow at Audio Classics (where I got it) he told me that Mac never did dive headlong into a new format till it has a lot of public acceptance. Yea, right. This thing is labled Video-CD too. Now THERE'S a format that bustin' at the seams. He did tell me that later this year a model MVP-851 is supposed to support CD-R, not sure about CD/RW. According to the time table of new production and when I can afford a used one it should about the year 2005. Overall he's real nice guy. His dad was Gordon Gow, that designed a lot of Mac's stuff.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-15-2002 at 10:50 PM

WOW!!!

VIDEO CD'S!

SCREW DVD'S, WE ALL NEED VIDEO CD PLAYERS!

700MB. OF PURE AUDIO/VIDEO BLISS!

That brings me to an intersting observation. I was in K-Mart (GOD! I hate that place!) and there was video demo on one of the end caps. I went closer to see what the playback device wat, and guess what. It was a dedicated Video CD player!!! It didn't play back DVD's or CD-R, RW, or possibly even music CD's, it was only for video CD's. I think it was an Apex, but I have, and probably never will see somthing like that again.

KRB,

Hey, go to Asia and you'll see tons of video CD gear and movies. When we were in Bangkok this past November, I noticed most of the music stores had a huge selection of titles. On the hardware side, lot's of Denon, Onkyo, and JBL. Also, Sansui is alive and well in Thailand!...Video CD and karaoke. yee-ha

I'm kinda surprised at the lackluster response to this topic. I'd think everyone who loves music would be up in arms over this copy rights issue. Or even if copying is not important to some, I would assume everyone would be really upset at the notion of being sold CD's full of intentional errors. That's definitely going to eat into a players ability to cope with possible scratches, smudges and the like.

I say boycott the scumbags!cwm10.gif

------------------

JDMcCall